PADI AOW Certification: A Really Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I guess it doesn't bother you that this violates the training standards by which the instructor must abide?
As long as we went there, I'll add on a bit ... for those who don't realize it PADI is an educational company. Yes, there is more than one revenue stream, but primarily it is educational materials. Purchase and ownership of your own materials, as required by standards so that you can refer back if/as needed down the line, feeds the lifeblood that enables the existence of PADI. And probably the same for most (all) other agencies.

An instructor in FL told me a dive shop that takes someone with OW only deeper than 60' is liable for any accidents, whether it is their fault or not. I'm not a shop owner or a lawyer. I am taking the word of the instructor.

Hmmm...I sure have been out with a lot of dive ops in FL on dives well below 60 ft. (Jupiter etc.) where there were plenty of OW divers on the boat and there was no mention about AOW. There are also criteria that might make a dive op classify a certain dive as "advanced" other than depth. Many dive ops that want an AOW for advanced dives will take OW divers if they hire a guide, show a log book (plus a chat), or go on a "check out" dive prior to the advanced dive. Now if the instructor said he was liable if he took any OW students on training dives below 60 ft., I could see how he might be if something happened since he would be outside standards (if he was a PADI instructor).

AOW & Solo are the two certs I would recommend as an excuse for travelling. Have fun. :)

Yeah, I agree with AdivingBel, but I would add Tec 40 (or equal) for recreational diving in touristy places.

markm

For those who don't realize it, PADI was just sold. To a Chinese investment company. For 700 million dollars.

I have no problem with a student borrowing a book. And copying the pages. And I'll sleep just fine tonight.

PADI SOLD FOR $700m - DIVE Magazine
That Chinese company thing was an early (misinformed) rumor. I don't have the time to spend time Googling for the updated truth, or searching for the SB thread(s) that do clarify, but I believe the investment company owners are Floridians. Someone posted that info recently, I'm sure someone else will chime in with it soon enough.

Copies of Knowledge Reviews are no longer required to be maintained with the PADI Student Record - just verification that they have been completed, in the student's personal copy of the book. Back when they WERE kept on file, a photocopy was acceptable of the completed Knowledge Review to meet the record retention requirement, not completion on a blank photocopy.

The written standards:
----------------------------------------------------

Materials

Diver

Ensure that student divers have a personal set of current PADI materials for study and use during the course and for reference afterward, to include, at a minimum, the course manual and slates (printed, digital or app version) unless unavailable in a language understood by the student diver. Ensure that student divers have a log book.

PADI eLearning® meets course manual and video material requirements.
---------------------------------------------------------

Now, it is certainly a personal choice/prerogative whether or not you choose to do business with someone that has a "pick and choose" approach to the training Standards they have agreed to follow, and is comfortable with cheating (mildest word I could come up with) their business partners(s). If this standard is optional to them, what other parts of your set training agenda are also optional in their view?
You can probably figure out which side of the line I fall regarding honest and ethical treatment for ALL parties involved.

You could do a lot worse than the Rotary Club 4 Way Test of the things we think, do, and say:
  1. Is it the TRUTH?
  2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
  3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
  4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

@JackD342

What if a student showed up with a PADI book they bought on Amazon instead of through your shop?. I looked - OW, AOW, and tec are all there for sale.

Many dive ops that want an AOW for advanced dives will take OW divers if they hire a guide, show a log book (plus a chat), or go on a "check out" dive prior to the advanced dive.

^This is why you want the AOW card. I mean what's easier. Going through all that, or showing them your AOW card and signing a waiver.

Had no idea we were on the geological scale.

Not for long the way things are going lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom