PADI AOW Certification: A Really Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JackD342

What if a student showed up with a PADI book they bought on Amazon instead of through your shop?. I looked - OW, AOW, and tec are all there for sale.
Yeah, and not all those for sale on-line are the current versions. Buyers should be careful. it matters not to the instructor (or PADI) from where you purchase the training material, so long as they are current versions. It likely matters to a dive shop that sells the materials, but we are talking about standards, not profits.

Current version, past version, so what? Diving hasn't really changed all that much in the past few years.

@JackD342

What if a student showed up with a PADI book they bought on Amazon instead of through your shop?. I looked - OW, AOW, and tec are all there for sale.
If it is a current, new/unused book then it is certainly acceptable by standards. Now, don't be surprised if you get an odd look or pushback from an operator about sourcing the materials somewhere else, as sales of those materials are part of their business model. Frankly, I am lucky to cover pool and instructor costs with what I collect for the pool portion. It is the eLearning revenue share and some initial gear sales (student discount) of mask, snorkel, boots, fins that actually pays some bills and overhead. That scenario hasn't come up for me, but I wouldn't turn someone away for that reason. The closest I came to that was a PADI Instructor in another part of the country that wanted to send me a relative for training that would buy the eLearning from them rather than from me. Now that one I did give some push back on. Fair is fair.

So anyway, for your original question, at that point it is a business decision, not a standards issue.

Yeah, and not all those for sale on-line are the current versions. Buyers should be careful. it matters not to the instructor (or PADI) from where you purchase the training material, so long as they are current versions. It likely matters to a dive shop that sells the materials, but we are talking about standards, not profits.
Individual instructors that aren't associated with a dive shop care about revenue streams too. Same as a shop, they buy wholesale from PADI and resell to their students at a (likely) marked up retail.

Just for fun, I looked up the PADI Rescue manual on Amazon.com. There are at least 12 different versions shown, and NONE of them are the current edition. Good prices, though.....

I did the same for the OW manual. Similar numbers as far as revisions goes, vast majority of reviews positive as in the book got them what they needed.

I assume you mean you did the Advanced Adventure? Or did they call it AOW in the past ( the 5 dive “sampler platter,” not the current Advanced that requires 4 specialties and 25 dives)?
I had to go check since it was 12 years ago. I did the Advanced Adventure fairly early on but then I went ahead and took a number of certs without counting the advanced adventure dives again since I wanted to max the number of dives I did and training I got. Somewhere along the way I got the Advanced card while on a trip in Florida. Both were SDI.

Just for fun, I looked up the PADI Rescue manual on Amazon.com. There are at least 12 different versions shown, and NONE of them are the current edition. Good prices, though.....
12 different published dates? Amazing--but believable. We got into a discussion elsewhere about EFR changes, etc. I agree with you and others that it's best to be current/up to date on everything. Sometimes I do get the feeling that changes occur for the sake of change. Not just referring to scuba. Now you can STREAM all your favourite episodes of __________, as opposed to just watching them (same thing, no?). I know tech. diving can get quite complicated, but other than major equipment changes (like BCs, SPGs, DCs), rec. diving seems pretty straight forward to me. About 3 years ago a few OW skills were added--one was actually dropping weights in the pool (I think) so a student knows what the buoyancy feels like, another was adjusting a buddy's tank band after slippage. Funny I was able to do that with no training when my fellow OW buddy's tank slipped in 2007.

-one was actually dropping weights in the pool (I think) so a student knows what the buoyancy feels like,

Given the number of drowned divers found with weights still on, practicing releasing them a few times is not a bad idea. Of course, it is different on different BCDs. Part of why I like integrated weights. I could easily drop just a few pounds if I wanted to.

A dive shop that takes someone with OW deeper than 60' is liable only if a judge or jury says they're liable.

Technically, you are correct. But, if statute says they are liable, then the judge would have no choice than to follow statue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom