PADI AOW class : disaster looming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chazdonaldson

Registered
Reaction score
:06: Hello All:

Last night as I was preparing for my AOW class this week, I was going over the chapters in the book and getting ready to do the knowledge reviews when....I DISCOVERED THAT THEY HAD BEEN CUT OUT OF THE BOOK!! Anyone know where I can view or download the knowledge review questions for the PADI AOW classes??

What day is your class? I would call the shop and request a new book. Or at least have them fax you the missing pages.
I dont think that PADI has an online forum. SDI does however, but I think you past that point now

Thanks, but unfortunately, the book was used...I should have looked at it closer. The class is tomorrow (!) although the dives are two weeks away. I can hand the knowledge reviews in then, but I still need to find them and fill them out.

You need to hand in the KR's before certification, not nessicarily before the dives (lathough it is better).

I would give your instructor a hard time about it for lending you the book instead of getting you your own personal copy. You can also get the AOW program on CDRom now if you want.

If you plan on furthering your training on to Rescue and DM, the AOW manual is a must! I would try to get one if that is the case. However, that being said, the manual is part of the AOW course. If you are getting the course at a significantly reduced rate, the omission of the manual and the use of a manual that is not complete is what can be expected! Don't blame PADI for this, blame the instructor who is willing to work this way, and the students who insist on "bargains".

PADI does not publish the knowledge reviews online, because PADI standards require each student to be supplied with all nessesary materials. Publishing this online would only endorse and encourage lowered standards such as this case exposes.

Sorry, but you will just have to tell your instructor or the LDS that you want not only the manual, but the rest of the stuff that goes with it. It's not expensive, and should have been included in the course in the first place.

Hi if you call this number and ask one of the guys I know Bill that works there he is cool. Maybe he can help 1 877 ok scuba it's a shop called Hollywoodivers they are in LA. I am sure Bill can help......Bubs
chazdonaldson:
:06: Hello All:

Last night as I was preparing for my AOW class this week, I was going over the chapters in the book and getting ready to do the knowledge reviews when....I DISCOVERED THAT THEY HAD BEEN CUT OUT OF THE BOOK!! Anyone know where I can view or download the knowledge review questions for the PADI AOW classes??

if the shop cut the pages out of the book. What I have experienced more often then not is that the student is borrowing a used book from a buddy who already turned in their KRs. They are doing this, quite simply, to avoid having to pay for the AOW book.

Any reputable shop isn't going to send you copies of the KRs for the simple reason is that is (1) a PADI standards violation, and (2) a violation of Copyright law.

If you in fact did purchase the AOW book from an LDS with the pages already cut out, it likely was a return. Go to the LDS and tell them what happened. It shouldn't be an issue.

Hi chazdonaldson and the rest. I'm not even OW yet but doesn't the fee for certs include a NEW book or manual? I'm asking this so that I know what to expect in the future. Thanks!

Yes, If you take a course from a PADI afiliated shop, they should include a NEW "Discover Scuba" book as part of the course (or let you know up front if it is a separate purchase from the course fee).
If you are simply taking instruction from a PADI certified instructor .... well, they can cut whatever corners they want as long as they cover all the material and thier certifying agency doesn't mind.
There is always the question of "copyright" if you simply use photocopies of the Knowledge Review pages, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom