PADI AOW class : disaster looming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the replies. Here in the Philippines, from my inquiries among the LDS w/c provide instruction, the cost or tuition does include a new book/manual. Anyway, should I be alarmed or suspect any instructor or cert agency which will not provide "new" materials. The cost of OW here is $300 usd approx. Thanks.

Well, PADI wants the instructor to keep copies of your Knowledge Reviews ... otherwise ... As long as you understand the information in the book, who cares if it's new or used ??? If you understand the information, who cares if you have the "Knowledge Reviews" (besides PADI)??? ... Once you're certified none of that matters anymore anyway.

(I'm not suggesting one should cut corners just to get the cert ... the important thing is understanding the concepts, risks, procedures... the cert card is just so you can get someone to fill or rent you tanks.)

deep_6:
Thank you for the replies. Here in the Philippines, from my inquiries among the LDS w/c provide instruction, the cost or tuition does include a new book/manual. Anyway, should I be alarmed or suspect any instructor or cert agency which will not provide "new" materials. The cost of OW here is $300 usd approx. Thanks.

If you were paying US$300 for an open water class, generally it would include the materials and rental gear.

Lots of shops and instructors quote the cost of the class and the cost of materials seperately. You need to make sure you know what's included.

chazdonaldson:
:06: Hello All:

Last night as I was preparing for my AOW class this week, I was going over the chapters in the book and getting ready to do the knowledge reviews when....I DISCOVERED THAT THEY HAD BEEN CUT OUT OF THE BOOK!! Anyone know where I can view or download the knowledge review questions for the PADI AOW classes??
You didn't say where you got the manuals but my guess is Ebay? I think there's a PT Barnum quote floating around here somewhere...

You have to turn in the Knowledge Reviews to pass the course and the standards require that they be originals from the manual - no photocopies accepted. Each manual is a "one use" document not designed to be resold.

At any rate, take them back to the source and see about a new one that hasn't already been used.

Back
Top Bottom