PADI Cavern Diver Course Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbliesath:
WOW!!! Is that on parchment??!! :D
Nope, I know papyrus when I see it! :)

Roak

loosebits:
Vayu: That's who Jim Wyatt is :)

Hmm, I thought I introduced Vayu to Jim at Ginnie or CEE... maybe I didn't.

Jason B:
The NSS-CDS did away with Intro to Cave and replaced it with what they call Basic Cave Diver. Doubles are allowed at this level without the need of a special permit (no longer need a provisional apprentice pass).
This is correct. I took the NSS-CDS course a few months ago and my instructor said if you do the class in doubles you get the Basic Cave cert. It says on my card "BASIC CAVE - limited to 1/6 double cylinders and 1/3 single"

I believe there is a lot more reading on the CDS switch to basic cave on TDS, but I never bothered looking for it. For another opinion on the singles/doubles at intro level, read Larry Green's article in the latest NACD journal.

As for "stopping at Intro," I think anyone who is interested in continuing to cave dive on a regular basis should aspire to attain full cave, or stick to limited penetrations with singles. Becoming a regular cave diver at the intro level is like becoming an accountant after taking a university "Intro to Accounting" course.

PADI cavern: some instructors teach CDS/NACD cavern and also give out PADI cavern certs; that's how I got mine. It doesn't impact the training standards much, but it does give PADI more money from issuing cards. It can also help PADI shops up their certification totals. The disadvantage, of course, is the possibility of instructors who are certified by PADI and not the cave diving agencies. Still, it sounds like all PADI cavern instructors need to have full cave from one of those other agencies, so you'd think they would be motivated to become a cavern instructor for one of those agencies as well. I wouldn't worry about PADI taking over, it just sounds like a way they can make more money.

divestoclimb:
...but it does give PADI more money from issuing cards....it just sounds like a way they can make more money.

...and we all know, that's just what PADI needs! :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom