PADI Divemaster Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjohnson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was certified as an NASDS instructor in 1992, but haven't taught for almost 15 years. I also hold a ANDI instructor certification for Nitrox and I recently took a PADI OW certification with my son to enjoy the experience with him. I am not interested in teaching, but would like to work with the local shop helping with classes and dives.
Does my previous experience be enough of a prerequisite to sign up for a PADI Divemaster class? If not, at what level should I begin my training?

If you can produce a log book showing your expirience including rescue cert. I'm sure you can find a shop to put you thru a DM course.

Technically, yes, as long as you have a rescue diver certification; I assume this would have been part of your previous training (I have no idea!).

Potentially a dive shop may ask you to go through a Rescue course. It may be that the shop query PADI as to your pre-requisites and they also ask that you get certified as a Rescue Diver prior to attending the DM class. I think this would be a good idea, and I'd encourage you to do the same if you approached me; or at least we'd have a very involved discussion about Rescue techniques beyond the requirements of the DM course.

As a DM trainee hopefully you will get this training anyway as part of your assisting in classes, but I always argue that it's better to have been a student of the course if you want to teach it - and especially for something like the Rescue Course.

You will of course need current medical clearance and some sort of CPR/First aid certificate.

Hope that helps,

C.

Thanks guys. I also emailed PADI and got their response. Basicly, it would be up to the individual instructor and an evaluation of the students knowledge. I'm looking forward to getting back involved with the industry and will take the most logical and safety conscious path.

Back
Top Bottom