PADI Divemaster or CMAS*** for conservation career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The vast majority of PADI instructors go thru the full Instructor Development Course not just the Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The first part of the IDC is the Assistant Instructor Course. The prerequisites for the course are what I posted above. The website might be incorrect, the prerequisites I listed came straight out of the Course Director's manual.

Eloise, PADI may provide some courses, but usually in CMAS such courses are enforced for a diver to progress. Since the OP mentioned his course would be in Spain, the CMAS training in Spain (by FEDAS) requires Oxygen administration before going into CMAS 3.
I was trained mainly in Portugal and had several requirements between levels, not PADI-type experience dives. That makes a difference! While a PADI DM may have had some specialties, a CMAS 3 will have had them.
And nowadays most agencies have similar specialties available, it's not like PADI is the only one offering those courses. Besides a diver can always approach another agency to do a specialty they find interesting.

The vast majority of PADI instructors go thru the full Instructor Development Course not just the Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The first part of the IDC is the Assistant Instructor Course. The prerequisites for the course are what I posted above. The website might be incorrect, the prerequisites I listed came straight out of the Course Director's manual.

No problem. BTW, what was your MOS? I was a Clearance Diving Officer in the early 70's in Canada; stationed at FDU-A and spending the majority of my time at DCIEM. I did my EOD training in Panama City.

Hi all,

I'm pursuing a career in marine conservation, and in the UK most jobs require you to be at least Divemaster/CMAS*** level, even in aquariums (DEFRA specifications). I am currently PADI AOW certified and have alot of experience doing reef surveys, and am hoping to do my Rescue course next month. However, I have found a very good instructor who is willing to allow me to undertake a CMAS*** internship with them in Spain for 2 months. Seeing as I need the qualification more for the skills and experience rather than for a professional career, would this be alright to do? Then again, I don't want to rule out teaching in the future...

Thanks in advance :)

Kelly

Hi Kelly :)

Your open-mindedness will benefit throughout your education and dive training, so I would suggest for you to definitely keep yourself in that mindset!

Let me introduce myself; I am a full time PADI IDC Staff Instructor at Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo.

I feel your attitude and needs suit our mission very well!
Our award-winning services include high standards in quality dive training and outreach programs focusing on environmental conservation. With the extensive facilities at our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre and the dedication of our Go PRO team of PADI Instructor Trainers, we will provide you with the professional dive training to suit your individual needs.

Learn to Dive - PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre on Gaya Island | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Get To Know Our GoPro Staff Team | IDC Asia

Not only are we passionate about dive education, our objective is to inspire our students to be environmentally-conscious!
We frequently conduct outreach programs that are based on environmental conservation and it’s an incredibly successful method of raising awareness, in our local community in particular.
Take a look at some of the content on our website to find out more on the specific events we’ve held.

Project AWARE Clean-up Events & Downbelow Conservation Programs | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

To complete the PADI Divemaster course we offer a fully inclusive 1-month internship program. Fully inclusive means you will be provided with your professional dive training, all educational materials needed, boat transfers to Gaya Island and mainland Kota Kinabalu, transport logistics from and to your en-suite accommodation in Kota Kinabalu city centre, lunch at our beach house on Gaya island with free flow refreshments, as well as UNLIMITED scuba diving.

PADI Divemaster | IDC Asia

Once you browse through our PADI Divemaster internship program section from the link above, you can ask me any further questions and I will get back to you immediately!
A PADI Divemaster course can be completed in as little as 10 days, however will you really be confident in your abilities to guide a group of divers in open water by yourself? In a month, you will gain a lot more confidence in your leadership and supervisory skills than you would in 10 days!
During your internship, you will assist our full time PADI professionals in their various activities and dealing with our real clients because this is the most effective method of learning to handle any real diving situations.
Any conservation programs we conduct at our beach house involves our professional interns too! From coral planting projects to beach and underwater ‘clean-ups’, you will be exposed to all areas of the dive lifestyle!

Add us on Facebook to get a daily insight into our operations and see what our staff team and our professional interns get up to!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

Hope to see you in Borneo soon, Kelly, so we can work together in our conservation efforts! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom