PADI DM Gear Exchange Difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, we exchanged -and donned and cleared - masks twice, ending up with our original masks.) We also swapped weight belts, twice, to end up with our proper amount of weight. But, we had to do a full exchange,

I was required to put all his gear on so I looked like him before the exchange and then get all of my gear back on.

Wys.

When I was doing my DM gear switch, we started by kitting up in each others equipment and then switched back to our own during the skill. The biggest thing was to get the buddy breathing down to a comfortable pattern first, then start removing, swapping equipment between the breaths. We had plenty of time to practice on our own 1st before doing the skill "on record", and the CD talked us through it during the practice. We 1st started out simulating on dry land (no tanks in BCD so it was all lite weight, then in shallow water. Once we were comfortable, we switched to deep water. Only after that, and the skill was "mastered" did we do it for the test. This was the way it was done at the PADI College in Santa Ana.
Safe Diving,
George

OK - some of the above mentioned this - but EVERY failure I've seen on the problem-solving exercise results from getting into a rush.

Maintaining control of your breathing pattern is paramount. If your buddy gets ahead - no problem. If you have to cycle buddy breathing to calm down without advancing through - no problem. Lose track of maintaining your breathing rate or try to do too much on a single reg pass - BIG PROBLEM.

The lesson that you're going to learn here is that as long as you stay calm and stay focused (remember - time is not the measure of success) you can overcome problems.

There are many, many ways to try to complete this exercise, but all tips/tricks are just that. My instructor did this with no warning at the pool one day. He just said "OK, let's do the gear swap." and explained the can do/can't do of it. He then said he'd meet me underwater, and dropped. So I dropped too and off we went.

I figured out he did me a favor. I didn't have time to get nervous.

Keep in mind that the drill isn't about exchanging gear, it's about maintaining composure in a challenging environment. You're not going to be graceful swimming in someone else's gear, and if either of uses corrective lenses, it may cause a headache. But all that aside, it's fun if you let it be.

When I did my exchange, there were two teams in the pool and "my team" had no problems while the other teams had significant ones. I believe there were two significant differences which led to our success:

1. Buddy breathing -- USE A LONGER HOSE! I have an AirSource and my primary is on a 40" hose and we decided it was MUCH easier to BB with the long(er) hose than the normal short primary. (Note -- if you have a "normal" length on the primary, do the BB with the Octo which should have a much longer hose.)

2. MY BC also has integrated weights -- I took them out and put them in my bathing suit pocket. I didn't have a weight belt available but I certainly wanted my weights on me and not on my BC.

3. As others said, start out with your buddy's gear, especially the mask, IF there is a question about fit (the mask was our only issue). (Oh, and spring straps on fins make that switch MUCH easier!)

That's not what I was told, but if that's the case it simplifies things a bunch!

Instructor manual 5-4

In deeper water, have them begin buddy breathing, then exchange all equipment
except exposure suit and weight belts.

Something personally i'd expect DM candidates to be familiar with before attempting the exercise!

Hey All,

I'm wrapping up my DM requirements and I'm having a major issue with the gear exchange skill. Can anyone offer some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. So far, this is the first time any skill has made me nervous in the water. I've already attempted this 4 times, with no luck.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Cheers!

Dan

If I remember right, you're supposed to come up with this plan all on your own with your partner. You're cheating here. :D asking for advice.

Instructor manual 5-4

In deeper water, have them begin buddy breathing, then exchange all equipment
except exposure suit and weight belts.

TY, String!

There you go... weight belt on it is. Piece of cake! :D

If I remember right, you're supposed to come up with this plan all on your own with your partner. You're cheating here. :D asking for advice.

I had a plan... a couple actually. They didn't work. For this to work both candidates need to be very comfortable in the water. My first partner was a bit panicky at times which caused problems... i.e. grabbing the regulator from my hands, moving too fast, shooting to the surface, etc... My second partner was an instructor and we progressed pretty far... until I faced the problems mentioned above (weighting, bcd, sizing, etc...). So, I don't consider my post "cheating", but rather asking others who have been there and maybe in a similar situation, for some advice that might help with my planning on the next attempt.

Thanks to all those who have offered their advice. I will be attempting this again this Saturday, and I'll let ya'll know how I make out.

Cheers!

Dan

When I did my gear exchange the regulator started free-flowing about half way which I think made it easier to buddy breath.

We started with the other persons gear so once we had our owe gear we would feel more comfortable. We used a weight belt. Another good thing is that we both dive the same type of gear so we knew how it worked. Starting with mask cause I had trouble getting their mask to seal and I didn't want to be trying to do everything with a leaking mask.

Take you time, take your time, take your time relax relax relax
The order I did it: Adding some extra that I think would have made it easier.
5 cycles of breathing (remember steady stream of bubbles from mouth)
1 fin
2 fin
2 cycles of breathing to relax again
Remove BC that isn't being used from you or your partner
2 cycles of buddy breathing to relax
remove BC that is being used
2 cycles of breathing
buddy with reg take 2 big breaths and hand over reg Don BC
2 cycles of breathing
repeat for second buddy
2 cycles of breathing
Ok sign and both masks off
2 cycles of breathing
One mask at a time back on (don't worry about clearing just yet)
Clear you mask after the first breath of your cycle
2 cycles of breathing
signal Ascend and ascend while continuing your cycles

The Key is to relax, take your time and be sure you take full breaths. If you do not you will be sucking on your lips and may even bolt to the surface. I found myself sucking on my lips only once but let me tell you, when you start trying to breath and can't your eyes will start turning to plates. Just know, you will be able to breath in just a couple seconds or your other BC is there, and if your instructor doesn't mind you can start over, ask prior to getting in the water.

I got a 5 on my first try, but alas the buddy I had was an Instructor.

Thanks again Jack (Diver's Supply Marietta, GA)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom