PADI DM To SDI DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trunkmonkey48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had a few questions regarding a possible switch or dual membership for my DM.

I currently hold a PADI DM.

What are the benefits to switching or holding a SDI DM?

How much does the yearly renewal cost for SDI DM? I know for PADI it is now $125.00 for the year.

Any advice would be great. Thanks ahead of time

I had a few questions regarding a possible switch or dual membership for my DM.

I currently hold a PADI DM.

What are the benefits to switching or holding a SDI DM?

How much does the yearly renewal cost for SDI DM? I know for PADI it is now $125.00 for the year.

Any advice would be great. Thanks ahead of time
SDI DM is $55/year. Insurance depends on your insurance.
Advantage depends on why you are a DM....if you are working for a shop that demands an XYZ DM card, then you need an XYZ DM card. If it is for personal pleasure or for getting a better seat on a dive boat, it really doesn't matter. If it is because you are thinking to go on to instructor level, then it depends on the agency you want to teach for.

SDI DM is $55/year. Insurance depends on your insurance.
Advantage depends on why you are a DM....if you are working for a shop that demands an XYZ DM card, then you need an XYZ DM card. If it is for personal pleasure or for getting a better seat on a dive boat, it really doesn't matter. If it is because you are thinking to go on to instructor level, then it depends on the agency you want to teach for.

Thanks for the info. A shop by me does both SDI and PADI. Yea I want to instruct one day. I knew the insurance didn't matter as that crosses over.

well the prestige of being an SDI DM is well worth it! :D

SDI has better economics than other programs (especially for instructors). Things like electronic c-cards that do not cost more. Less expensive (but very good) training materials. And SDI really works for its members. It's operations are run by actual divers who actually dive. And they dive with me as it happens :)

As an SDI instructor, I could not use a PADI DM to assist with an OW class according to Standards and Procedures because a PADI DM is not trained to SDI standards (not picking on PADI...insert the agency of your choice)

I'm a multi-agency instructor as the shop I work for teaches SDI, TDI, ERDI, NAUI, PADI, IANTD and probably a couple I forgot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom