Padi Efr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just began my self study portion of the PADI Emergency First Response course.....boy it's a bit dry,,,,but know it's important to learn. Next weekend is our 6 hour classroom section.

I did my EFR course recently...

The material is a little 'dry' as you said, but it has to be really... you can't really make medical stuff very amusing, especially when people in the classroom may have been is some of the situations themselves. Fortunately I had a brilliant instructor who made it more interesting!

It was the practical side that was best - I guess the hands-on bits always are. It makes it a lot easier to understand what's written in the manual, by actually putting it into practice, and the role play situations were fantastic as well.

I do think it helps to have a good instructor though. But remember, the stuff you're learning could actually save someone's life someday... So it's always worthwhile!

Amy Capello:
I did my EFR course recently...

The material is a little 'dry' as you said, but it has to be really... you can't really make medical stuff very amusing, especially when people in the classroom may have been is some of the situations themselves. Fortunately I had a brilliant instructor who made it more interesting!

It was the practical side that was best - I guess the hands-on bits always are. It makes it a lot easier to understand what's written in the manual, by actually putting it into practice, and the role play situations were fantastic as well.

I do think it helps to have a good instructor though. But remember, the stuff you're learning could actually save someone's life someday... So it's always worthwhile!

You are so right in your take on the course......I think it is good for anyone to take. Been along time since my police officer days and similar training,,,so glad I am enrolled. Thanks for your insight.....hope others have or will take the course.

In my opinion, this course is the most important course in diving. this makes you and your buddy feel safe while diving. I didn't dive since last March, I feel that I am rusty. anyway concentrate on that course, because this course means, lives can be saved by you. When you carry certificate of EFR this means that other can depend on you. Dive safe and have a nice day.

It is hard to make first aidC/CPR courses entertaining, however it should be interesting and of good value. I always try to teach my students something about how the body works that they perhaps never knew. If I can show them on their own bodies, it is more interesting than just talking about it.

I totally agree, this is an essential course to take, along with Rescue Diver too. Then you REALLY know your stuff!

My instructor also taught us a few extras that ADI doens't, cos he's got qualifications in tek diving etc etc (the list goes on let me tell ya!) and likes to bring in other things that are relevant, to add to the course.

He did all the EFR stuff with us, then tailor-made about half of the of the role play to diving related accidents (as we were all divers on the course, and many were going on to take Rescue Diver the next day). It was great because the EFR manual doesn't actually go into anything about diving accidents, as non-divers can take the course too.

He also taught us that, if there's no O2 available, you can use Nitrox instead, because of course it has a higher % O2 in it than normal air! Seems so obvious, but you'd be suprised how many people don't think about it.

Even if you have to do mouth-to-mouth, you can take a breath of the Nitrox yourself, then breathe into the (it's victim when their not breathing right?!), because you end up bretahing out a higher % O2 than you would normally.

And if they ARE breathing, the regulator for the Nitrox cylinder works as a demand valve!

We were also made to assemble to O2 kit blind folded. I went last, and the guys on my course were so p**sed off that I di it faster than all of them!! :wink:

It all got rather complicated when we did a scenario where one guy had DCI and collapsed, so people were attending to him, whilst someone checked his buddy was alright (as he'd have dived the same profile as the collapsed guy, and therefore would also be potentially at risk). It was all going well til our instructor said "right, now his buddy is gonna collapse too.." We ended up with one guy on Nitrox cos he was breathing on his own, and the other guy being given mouth-to-mouth with the rescuer using pure O2 (which was only on a demand valve).

It was complicated as the whole group was involved, to simulate a diving group, and therefore there were lots of people doing a lot things. But it was excellent at the same time, as everyone knew exactly what to do, got the "situation" under control, quickly and effeciently. Even though there WERE a lot of people involved and a lot of things to do (my instructor can be such a bugger... "now he starts breathing on his own"... "now he's stopped again"... and sneaking in behind us and turning the O2 off! Which we noticed right away fortunately!! Had to make it complicated didn't he...) everyone got it right, spot on. And it's such good preparation - if that ever happened for real, I know that noone on my course would panic, and everyone would know exactly what to do.

My instructor really put us through our paces (the amount of times we had to switch the Nitrox/O2 between victims cos he kept telling us now one's breathing on his own, the other isn't, now it's switched...) but I think that's really good, because now we are super-prepared!!

You know on the video, there's a guy that falls off his bike and gets hurt? Well, we decided it looked like the EFR guy, who was at his car, distracted him on purpose, cos the bike guy looks at him, waves, then crashes.... Our instructor was laughing and telling us that we'd all be doing that now, just to be able to say "hi, I'm an Emergency first responder, may I help you?"!! We also had a laugh at the "hi, my name is your name..." but in the maual.. Oh, and that girl... "Granma, I'm an Emergency First Responder, may I help you?" Like your nan is gonna sue a member of her own family huh! More likely to if she DIDN'T help!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I just finished EFR last night. Our instructor made it fun and included use of an AED and the dive-specific use of oxygen. We did 5 different scenarios. Some of them were pretty complicated and one of them was a diving scenario. As others have noted - all good practice. When I get back from vacation I'll do the Infant EFR and then its on to Rescue Diver.

Jeff

Yeah, I'm planning to do my Resue Diver as soon as I can now, just gotta give it some time to sort my sinuses out first... :(

Finished up my EFR class Sat.,,,,really allot of fun on this serious topic....our instr. did a great job and had 8 folks in the class. Everyone should take the course.

Amy Capello:
I totally agree, this is an essential course to take, along with Rescue Diver too. Then you REALLY know your stuff!

I agree, these skills are essential in a dive environment. However, don't be fooled into thinking that becasue you have done your EFR course and your Rescue course that you know your stuff (I don't mean to pi$$ on your parade by saying this). The rescue course is certainly one of the best courses you can do and will definately increase your confidence in your own abilities, however, I have seen a number of students finish the course and their attitude has changed for the worse (arrogance and cockiness).
Until someone has been involved in a real rescue scenario it is all theoretical, I have Dm'd and Instructed on many rescue courses, and have been involved in a few minor rescues, however, I have never had my skills really tested. I would hope that in the event of a real emergency I would still be able to do what I have been taught and what I teach. A good idea is to practice skills regularly after the course to keep them fresh.

I wish you all the best for your rescue course and hope that you never have any need to put those skills into action. But please don't stop learning, the day you think you know it all is the day you die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom