PADI - Emergency First Response Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Did anyone who went to DEMA have a chance to check out the new Emergency First Response program? What do you think? I am currently trying to decide if I am going to do the cross-over or do a cross-over with the newer Medic First Aid program. Any details or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the new "Responder" program is a "cutting edge" educational program which was developed by a team of educators who have spent a number of years designing a new up-to-date approach to the first aid materials. It is structured around home study and a video. Once you have done the homework, you come to the classroom for the actual skills practice. The medic first aid is also video based but tends to proceed in modules in the classroom where you watch the video, then try it out step-by-step.

My details could be a little fuzzy here but I think that the Medic First Aid was a program licenced by PADI from another first aid specific organization and the Emergency Responder was designed to be run as a new independent company connected to PADI. I'm sure someone more up to date on the details will be able to confirm or deny this or shed more light on the subject.

Hope this helps...a little

The old PADI Medic First Aid program was licensed from EMP, Intl. They created a new course a few years ago which PADI chose not to adopt. I suspect this was because they were in the process of developing the First Responder course. They appear to be similar in nature (First Responder and Medic First Aid Version 5) I have to say though that I lean more towards a classroom based course rather than a course based mostly on home study.

I am currently trying to decide if I am going to do the cross-over or do a cross-over with the newer Medic First Aid program.

I'm a little confused; the First Responder Course is replacing the Medic First Aid Course: as of June 30, 2003 the Medic First Aid Course will be totally discontinued.

Right now most of us at the Instructor level are crossing over. In fact, I have several un-opened MFA packs that I am sending back to PADI for credit towards the new EFR materials.

IOW, don't bother doing MFA: go for EFR.

~SubMariner~

You don't have to go with the First Responder course. The current PADI Medic First Aid course was developed by a company called EMP Intl. and licensed by PADI. A few years back, EMP totally re-wrote their program to what they now call Version 5. PADI chose not to use this new program.(probally because they were already working on the Frist Responder Course) I have checked into Version 5 course and it looks like a pretty good first aid course. It is especially attractive because it has an extremely low per student cost to the instructor, unlike most PADI programs (PIC Cards). If you are like me, and would like to start marketing First Aid courses towards local industry the Medic First Aid course might be a good idea. There are many companies that already use it for their in-house training. I know that Cintas safety division uses it, as well as alot of Oil field companies. I was just trying to find out what some of the folks that went to DEMA thought of the new First Response materials, and the program in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom