PADI Emergency First Response Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulegeman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a current Wilderness First Responder (from NOLS) and I was wondering if I can use this to become PADI certified as the Emergency First Responder Provider? Do I need this certification to continue towards a PADI Divemaster and a Open Water Scuba Instructor?
I am currently an AOWD.
Thanks!
Sam

Your instructor can accept non-EFR first aid certifications for Rescue and Divemaster. Most likely also for OWSI, but I haven't gotten that far . . . yet.

As long as your NOLS is within the last 2 years and covers CPR and rescue breathing it will be fine.

If you want to become a PADI Instructor you will have to become an EFR Instructor.

Well, another reason I won't become a PADI instructor. I doubt they would let you qualify as an EFR instructor without having taken the course before even if you knew more about emergency medicine and related topics than most scuba instructors will ever come close to knowing.

It's really retarded to make someone trained to a higher level (although a WFR certification isn't all that more advanced, but I would still rather have a WFR qualified person working on me than someone who sat through any of the courses out there aimed at divers specifically) sit through a class designed at such a basic level that a you could pith a person with severe Down Syndrome and have them still pass it. Taking this to a logical but extreme example, making someone who is qualified as a paramedic or respiratory therapist or physician take the EFR class "just to make sure everyone knows the same skills". It would be like someone who passed the military diver course being required to sit through an OW class simply because they might not know the buddy system well enough or some other lame excuse. It speaks only to PADI's desire to squeeze every last dollar out of divers.

Actually they made it very simple for a first aid/CPR instructor from another agency to cross over- just pay the fee, do an online course and you're all set.

I am a Firefighter\EMT and a DMT.
Throw in being a NAUI Instructor as well so, you would not want me to help you if you were in deep doo doo? There is nothing wrong with EFR. I like the course as well as PADI's new 02 First Aid as well.

As someone who has both NAUI and PADI certs I can say one thing for sure. PADI is more expensive. PADI is just one more dollar for something else, you need x, y or z. As far as I am concerned when I take a course for x dollars it should have all the material with it. I can understand a collage course for credit, but sport diving is not the same. In the NAUI courses I have taken, the binder had everything you need in it and it came with the course. One payment for the whole nine yards not surprises. What I hate is the 25 for this book, the 32 for that book, the 16.50 for this CD and 45.50 for the DVD etc etc etc.

Maybe it’s just me but it seems like an ongoing money thing with PADI, they always want more. As far as the agencies are concerned, they are about the same. They do teach different things at different times, like NAUI stresses first aid in the OW course and more so in the AOW level right off the bat. NAUI has allot of emphasis on first aid at the AOW level much more so then PADI. PADI does not get into it deep until Rescue diver level. Also for NAUI I needed a current CPR and First aid course for my AOW. Seems like first aid/CPR should be in all AOW level courses for all agencies. Recue diver should be on rescue techniques and in the water training, not the book work, as that should already be done long before that point.
Just my nickel worth, and I KNOW someone will take offence to my remarks!!!

Well, another reason I won't become a PADI instructor. I doubt they would let you qualify as an EFR instructor without having taken the course before even if you knew more about emergency medicine and related topics than most scuba instructors will ever come close to knowing.

It's really retarded to make someone trained to a higher level (although a WFR certification isn't all that more advanced, but I would still rather have a WFR qualified person working on me than someone who sat through any of the courses out there aimed at divers specifically) sit through a class designed at such a basic level that a you could pith a person with severe Down Syndrome and have them still pass it. Taking this to a logical but extreme example, making someone who is qualified as a paramedic or respiratory therapist or physician take the EFR class "just to make sure everyone knows the same skills". It would be like someone who passed the military diver course being required to sit through an OW class simply because they might not know the buddy system well enough or some other lame excuse. It speaks only to PADI's desire to squeeze every last dollar out of divers.

This is a classic example of how to get peoples feathers ruffled by providing misinformation.

I'm 99% certain and I'm going to call "hogwash" on this one. I can't find any information that states that you must be an EFR instructor before you can become a PADI instructor. In fact the Emergency First Response isn't even an actual PADI governed course, they offer the training but it's an entire seperate entity governed by the Emergency First Response Corp.

All PADI requires to proceed through to "Go Pro" is the rescue diver course and as other's have mentioned already you only need the following:

Be trained and current for first aid and CPR within the previous two years (Ask your instructor about Emergency First Response CPR and first aid courses).

If you are a practicing health professional (ie. EMT, Firefighter etc) or higher level of first aid with CPR cert and you're current then you do not require the "EFR" course.

Pretty much correct- But if you look at both their website "contact us" pages you'll see that PADI and EFR share the same address.

Probably separate corporations for some purpose that would need lawyers and accountants to decipher but I'm surmising largely the same ownership.

And yes, any higher level of current certification should be sufficient to satisfy a "Current first aid and CPR" requirement.

(Years ago I was informed that my CPR instructor card was not adequate- I promptly certified myself and gave them that card just to annoy them.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom