PADI Instructor Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with the Florida Keys as probably the best place in the country for new divers. Our reefs are beautiful and shallow, the water temps are good as is the visibility.

If you're interested in coming down here, let me know and we can get you sorted out, no problem :)

Rachel

Tropical you say! I did my OW cert dives on Maui. All I can say is WOW. I used Kapalua Bay Dive. Maren Springer was my instructor, her patience and the support of the shop were invaluable. They are in a protected bay with the most amazing life I have seen (Keep in mind that I haven't done any tropical diving on the east coast yet). If you are going out that way I would give them a call.

annasea:
Thx for the PM offer, Bear. While I don't doubt that there is plenty to see in Indy, and I feel I'm in need of very patient instruction, I REALLY want to go somewhere tropical! :D

But what I really appreciate is you sharing with me how many times it took you to get through OW. I was in two different classes for my pool sessions and everyone but me seemed to sail through it. Very discouraging. I've met many other divers through another board, and was quite surprised to discover that two of the *expert* divers had great difficulties initially as well. While I know I'm not the only one, it's always inspiring to hear of other stories similar to mine. Thx again, Bear!

Hello,

Waters around Vancouver can be a bit cold. I did my cert dives during a Christmas holiday in Vancouver many many years ago (it was Whytecliff Park I believe) in chilli 8 C. The choice was here or back in my then home in the UK. To make things chillier, I wore a 7mm wetsuite.

However, following that OW eye-opener, I was quite happy to jump into the Red Sea a couple of months later in comfortable 25 C.

Now I have never dived in Hawaii but it may be worth checking out some of the deals there (I only thought of this because a workmate of mine recently went into a Flight Centre in Kits and bought a package that sounded very nice and reasonable). I personally think Big Island with the Manta Rays is appealing.

Whevever you decide, have fun.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Ber, thank you for sharing your story. I've heard a few others that were similiar from friends on SD and I always appreciate hearing more. If I'm ever in Ohio, I will definitely look you up. I have it on very good authority that you're a great dive buddy. :wink:

MikeM878, I have a most wonderful friend on Catalina Island and was hoping to do my check out dives there, but changed my mind due to the water temps. (I'd rather be in a 3 mil than a 7 mil.)

Brian, thanks for mentioning the cost factor of Hawaii. I've read it from a few others so it's worth considering.

Rachel, if you don't mind, I'll PM you soon regarding more info on Florida.

ctmax, thanks for providing the name of an instructor you personally used in Hawaii. I haven't looked into airfares and accommodation yet, but if I'm able to find a *deal*, I'll further explore it.

Louie, sorry to see that you're leaving Vancouver. I notice that you're an instructor. Have you been teaching scuba in Vancouver?

Annasea, I don't know any specific instructors to recommend in the Florida Keys, but I have to agree that the water is shallow and warm with good viz. Of course the longer you wait, the cooler the water will be, but it's still nothing even close to BC's water temps.

If you do find a deal to Maui, another operator to consider is Lahaina Divers. They run big boats that are extremely easy to dive from, and even when they have a full compliment of divers, there is plenty of room to move around. I can strongly recommend both John and Elliott as excellent instructors. Both are fun, extremely patient, and very good with instruction and skill development. When I had problems with my mask removal skill, John worked with me until I felt more comfortable and was able to complete the skill without problems.

Good luck with completing your OW. Personally, I think you're very smart to know your limitations and how much task loading you can handle. I live in the Pacific Northwest and choose not to dive cold, so totally understand your desire for warm water. :D

DiveMe:
If you do find a deal to Maui, another operator to consider is Lahaina Divers. They run big boats that are extremely easy to dive from, and even when they have a full compliment of divers, there is plenty of room to move around....

I would agree. Once I was certified, the instructor at Kapalua bay insisted that we do a boat dive to the crater, she even went on her day off and buddied up with me. You can't go wrong with either shop. I chose to do my cert dives through Kapalua on advice from a friend. Easy shore dives once I was comfortable in the water and certified, we went off the boat.

I am sure you will have fun with whatever you choose.

Hello Annasea

Who knows, I may be back in Van in the future sometime and you've taken up ice diving.

We all have different learning curves and sometimes, it's a case of getting over that hump and everything falls into place after that. You're probably well on your way.

I thought of teaching in Van but got stuck in the mundane world of "normal" office-based work. But I'm off back to the boats in SE Asia (water 28 C, beachside bars, interesting recreational activities and tanned young men). Money's not brilliant but the lifestyle isn't bad.

Happy diving

Thx, everyone, for your suggestions!

I've since located an instructor in Florida who I'm quite excited to be working with come June.

Wish me luck! :)

I know some great instructors in Maui that could help you out. Maui Dreams in Kehei would be my first choice. Drop me a PM and I'll get you some names of some good folks over there.

good choice for fla ...i have been an instructor for ten years ....you got some good advice ...warm water is the way to go ....i must say you need to go where your comfort level is .....i know several good instructors male and female who would be happy to help you....i am from chicago ..but used to go to fla once a month ....any questions feel free to ask just p m me
Good luck and have fun
Gary

Back
Top Bottom