PADI Master Diver to SDI Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7milehi

Contributor
Reaction score
I've completed the PADI Master Scuba Diver and my lds is in the process of switching from PADI to SDI. Would it be better to go to another semi-lds and stay with PADI for my DM or just stay at my current lds and complete the SDI DM course.

Why are you taking your DM?

Do you want to work for the shop where you take your DM?

The crossover from PADI to SDI is easier than the crossover from SDI to PADI. (or at least it was several years ago, it amy have changed).

Choose the shop you feel most comfortable having a professional relationship with and go there.

TwoBit

The shop I used to dive with switched from YMCA to SDI. The only thing involved for me was listening to a speakerphone for half an hour, and writing a check. I felt ripped off. I'm not familiar with PADI Master Scuba Diver, but YMCA has a Master Diver certification. The difference between that and Dive Master is an issue of liability. Dive Master is a professional track of education and master diver is a personal level of training. Is it the same for PADI?

Consider whether you intend to teach or provide support for the shop. Consider the issue concerning professional liability insurance. I left the shop I worked with, but have maintained both YMCA and SDI DM certifications, and now teach with an independent instructor. I am sitting for my YMCA AI now, and when I get it, I will apply for a cross-over cert. by equivilency to SDI.

Whatever you decide, make sure you are happy with what you are doing, why you are doing it and who you are doing it with. The agency on your card in much less important than the information you provide to new divers and the levelto which you provide your service.

[/I]
I've completed the PADI Master Scuba Diver and my lds is in the process of switching from PADI to SDI. Would it be better to go to another semi-lds and stay with PADI for my DM or just stay at my current lds and complete the SDI DM course.

By the way, this was not meant to be a dig at SDI/TDI or the crossover experience. The experience was quick and painless, and SDI/TDI offers some very high quality training, especially in the advanced levels and specialty courses. I suppose my expectations of the crossover were higher than what I had to do, but those expectations were not based on any factual foundation. I assumed, and we all know what that results in.

I stress again, if you are intent on continuing in a leadership, or dive professional, role, than by all means crossover. Just make sure you enterinto the field with your eyes open about the responsibility that comes with a leadership position.
The shop I used to dive with switched from YMCA to SDI. The only thing involved for me was listening to a speakerphone for half an hour, and writing a check. I felt ripped off. I'm not familiar with PADI Master Scuba Diver, but YMCA has a Master Diver certification. The difference between that and Dive Master is an issue of liability. Dive Master is a professional track of education and master diver is a personal level of training. Is it the same for PADI?

Consider whether you intend to teach or provide support for the shop. Consider the issue concerning professional liability insurance. I left the shop I worked with, but have maintained both YMCA and SDI DM certifications, and now teach with an independent instructor. I am sitting for my YMCA AI now, and when I get it, I will apply for a cross-over cert. by equivilency to SDI.

Whatever you decide, make sure you are happy with what you are doing, why you are doing it and who you are doing it with. The agency on your card in much less important than the information you provide to new divers and the levelto which you provide your service.

[/I]

Back
Top Bottom