PADI Master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, I have read this closed thread here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/152740-padi-master-diver-certification.html

In between all the flames and bashing - what I got out of it is:

a). The master diver course is not really a course.
b). If you've completed OW, AOW, RD/EFR and 5 specialties, then the MD card is all yours for $35.
c). You don't actually take a class, unless you need to pick up specialties or need to reach 50 dives.
d). The MD card will list whatever 5 specialties you use toward it. Is that right?

Is that all correct?

In my case:

1). I've got about 80 dives, as follows:
2003: 54 dives (all within about 6 weeks)
2004: 12 dives
2005: 4 dives
2006: 3 dives
2007: 5 dives
2008: 2 dives (so far)

2). I've completed OW and AOW courses (Nov. and Dec. 2003)

3). I've completed Nitrox and Drysuit specialties (Sept. 2007 and Aug. 2008)

So, the way I read things, I'd need to complete RD/EFR and 3 more specialties, and then pay $35 or whatever for the MD card if I wanted to. There is no class to take, no book to buy.

Just looking for the facts, not a discussion of why or why not or opinions about PADI, or whatever. Refer to the above-listed thread - I think it has plenty of that stuff in there already :)

As mentioned, I've completed the Nitrox and Drysuit specialties. For the three more that I'd need, I prefer to actually do some useful ones, that I can get in my area (Alaska). I'm thinking Diver Propulsion Vehicle, maybe Ice Diver, maybe Underwater Navigator (yes, did Nav as part of AOW, but I suck with a compass), maybe Semiclosed Rebreather (if I could get it in my area). Not sure what other good options are. On this subject, looking for opinions/recommendations :)

Thanks!
ND

d). The MD card will list whatever 5 specialties you use toward it. Is that right?
I don't think the card actually lists the specialties.
So, the way I read things, I'd need to complete RD/EFR and 3 more specialties, and then pay $35 or whatever for the MD card if I wanted to. There is no class to take, no book to buy.
correct

No it doesn't list them. The OP is correct. I got all of my requirements done and then decided to do DM. After that the Master Diver card seemed like waste of 35 bucks. I'd have to check my manual but they used to require certain specialties. Now you can get it with fluff stuff like fish ID, bug eye mask, and mantee wrangler all count towards it. Kinda cheapened it for me. Maybe if they did list the specialties it would mean something but as it stands it really doesn't. The individual cards are worth more. Get UW nav, Deep, and Ice for your area. They will carry more weight than the Master Diver card. As for the rebreather, even semi closed, I'd consider advanced nitrox and deco before even thinking about a rebreather. Gas blender would be good too before that.

I would recommend against doing PADI Rebreather, Cavern or Wreck Specialties. I am a certified PADI Wreck Specialty Instructor and I have NASS-CDS Cavern/Intro to Cave and IANTD Dolphin/Atlantis Rebreather certs. Better to do those courses with Technical Agencies where the course will actually count for something in the future.

Is there any dive shop or boat that will let you make rebreather dives with a PADI Rebreather Specialty cert?

The PADI Master Scuba Diver rating level, you need to complete the PADI Open Water Diver, PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent), PADI Rescue Diver, and any five PADI Specialty Diver certifications. Or, if you’re a PADI Divemaster, complete any five PADI Specialty Diver ratings. Minimum Number of Logged Dives: 50
Minimum qualifications: PADI Rescue Diver or Junior Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), 12 years old, five PADI Specialty Diver certifications.

I always had my students working on there MSD Rating to take Deep and Nav and let them pick the rest. I always let them pick from Research, Search & Recovery, Equipment, Night, Wreck, Photo and before it went to the wayside U/W Hunter.

ANY 5 specialties count toward the master diving rating. Also its now 45 dollars for the card but you get some pretty neat stuff like 2 bags and 2 certificates, a card and some other things.

Id recommend the diving specialties but any 5 will do.

I just have 9 dives to go. Hoping to get them done by the end of the year.

Master Scuba Diver is just exactly like any other certification with any organization -- you get out of it exactly what you put into it.

You get $45 out of it??

"You get $45 out of it??"

HA! Good one!

As a PADI Master Diver, I think the certification level is significant only in so far as distinguishing you as having a bit more diving experience in varied environments and in number, beyond the very low bar of so-called "Advanced Open Water". Though "Master SD" is equally an inflated misnomer, I did find all the specialty courses useful and informative INTRODUCTIONS to the various subjects.

As a present NAUI instructor candidate, I feel compelled to point out that NAUI's course of the same name, Master SD, is an actual course with extensive academic areas across a broad range of dive subjects including rescue/first aid, decompression theory, navigation, search and recovery, limited visibility, and more. This is quite apart from the more in depth courses on some of these subjects available as specialties. IMHO, the NAUI MSD course embodies most of the essential knowledge that is not offered in the PADI system until the Dive Master level. As that is PADI's entry professional level, it entails the liability that not all divers may wish to assume.

If you are looking for a course that greatly advances your dive knowledge and experience, NAUI's Master Scuba Diver course is worth investigating.

Best of luck, and stay wet! Avra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom