PADI membershjp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiverJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my voucher for annual membership for PADI. Whats the consensus on giving them my $29. Is there a better place to spend my money (I'm sure there will be a few interesting answers) :)

I bet you only get one ... DAN .. Divers Alert Network
It's a very worthwhile organization that has, and continues, to do research, and to provide services that keep divers safe
... DAN Divers Alert Network

and while the insurance is not part of DAN's non-profit organization, it is some of, if not THE best coverage you can get ... DAN Insurance : Dive Accident, Trip, Dive Equipment, Camera, Group Term Life
I would get (and I have) the Preferred Plan ... http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp
It's not much money, and I know someone who's glad that she had the maximum coverage they offer

Well I've used the diving society discounts on a few trips and it's saved me a good bit. If you join or renew for specific offers make sure that you sign up for the right offer. For instance the offer by mail is for a "free" hat. However the offer on line is a free bag. I usually renew online because it's easy but I never get the right offer. Also, keep track of your own membership don't rely on them to keep the dates right.

An example would be my soceity membership ends two years after my magazine subscription. You may renew then get a get a renewal notice 3 - 4 months later

At the time, Padi sent me two invitations for $29, then another one a couple of weeks later for $19, so you may save money if you wait a little.
Membership included a book of coupons (I did not even use one), a bag (ok, but not worth $19), and a subscription to their dive magazine.
I found the magazine the most useless publication imaginable (pretty pictures though). Before I subscribed I had no idea that there were magazines that solely consisted of infomercials (= ads thinly veiled as editorial content)....
In other words, I did not find the PADI membership worthwhile.

BTW, for $29 you can get a two year subscription to "scuba diving" magazine (use the search function to find threads discussing whether that is a good magazine or not ).

I just received my voucher for annual membership for PADI. Whats the consensus on giving them my $29. Is there a better place to spend my money (I'm sure there will be a few interesting answers) :)

Buy four tank fills and go diving over the weekend.

Terry

DAN - can't go wrong.

I would go for the DAN. But when i signed up for DAN they said I had to also sign up for the PADI membership for $29. I just signed up last year so i don't know if this is still their policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom