PADI Multilevel locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm considering taking the PADI multilevel diving course. Where are some good locations? I am willing to travel, and want to pick a location who's underwater geography and scenery are conducive to multilevel.

Am I looking for a wall, such as Grand Cayman? Or, maybe an oil rig, are those commonly used?

Thanks,

Jeff

What's your specific objective for taking the course?

Multilevel is a class that really almost shouldn't require dives. With an eRDPml you can do a handful of multi-level dive profiles and get the idea. Not sure that actually doing those dives adds much.

What's your specific objective for taking the course?

Multilevel is a class that really almost shouldn't require dives. With an eRDPml you can do a handful of multi-level dive profiles and get the idea. Not sure that actually doingthose dives adds much.

True, but it's a great excuse to go to Coz....

Hi all,

I'm considering taking the PADI multilevel diving course. Where are some good locations? I am willing to travel, and want to pick a location who's underwater geography and scenery are conducive to multilevel.

Am I looking for a wall, such as Grand Cayman? Or, maybe an oil rig, are those commonly used?

Thanks,

Jeff

why not just save your money and buy yourself a computer? Every dive can be a multilevel dive with one.
then go dive Cozumel .

Maybe this class makes sense if you have trouble grasping the basic ideas covered in it, or figuring out using your dive computer. But I see it mostly as a holdover/dinosaur originally created before dive computers, when PADI was selling the wheel to plan multilevel dives.

If you don't have a computer, I'd spend the money on that. If you do, I'd spend it on some more margaritas in Coz. I surely wouldn't choose a trip location around it.

Really there's very few places in the Caribbean that wouldn't work. Except maybe the Virgin Islands since many of those dives don't break 100' some much less. All boat diving so you're starting in deeper water also usually. Unless you first wanted to swim to a nearby island then start descending to get back to where you started from.

Places that could work - this is far from all of them

Little Cayman
Turks/Caicos
Bonaire
Curacao
Roatan
Utila - mostly the north side
Nassau
Some of the Bahamas Out Islands
Maui - esp. off Lanai

Obviously Cozumel or Grand Cayman also.

One thing all these places have in common is exceptional visibility. Which promotes sunlight getting to deeper water and prolific coral growth. Plus any off a major wall like Turks/Caicos, Caymans or Nassau also have huge upwellings of nutrients that promote excellent coral growth and fish populations. And bigger pelagics who eat them. A draw for the Bahamas is there are Blue Hole dives off some of the islands, that's kind of the ultimate mult-level dive since a lot of them are shallow on top, then you descend along the hole wall deeper and often can go under the collapsed roof to see stalagtites. All in under 120' or less. Of course the middle usually drops several hundred more feet.

Most shore dives are multilvel. Many wreck dives are multilevel. Deck one level. Sand one level. Even ledge dives are multilevel. Personally except for a few reef dives almost all of my dives are multilvel. Often multi-multi level.

Last edited:
why not just save your money and buy yourself a computer? Every dive can be a multilevel dive with one.
then go dive Cozumel .

Buy the computer then throw the eRDPml in a blender and turn it on high.

gr8jab, as you've read, just about every dive - unless you are entering and dropping immediately down to a bottom depth (say 120') to stay for a few minutes then starting an assent that takes you back up to the surface (after your obligatory stop) is a multi-level dive. If it's just something you want to work on have fun. Otherwise, there are a lot of other "specialities" that might be a lot more fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom