PADI Open Water Course - Weight Belt Removal/Replacement & BCD Removal/Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girlfriend is currently enrolled in a PADI Open Water certification course. As part of her course, I can train with her as a "refresher" (I was certified in 2007). This is a nice feature as she feels much more comfortable learning with me (classroom & water).

We just did the weight belt removal/replacement surface/underwater. On the surface, the instructor had us start face down in the water, remove the weight belt and hold it in front of us , place the buckle on our hip and roll. With 3 students and myself, it took over an hour to "master" this skill. The weight belt typically entangled around our thighs/knees and it was a struggle to get it back in place. The same technique was used for the underwater portion.

I don't remember this from my training. On the surface, I was face up with a simple roll that put the belt close to where it should be. Underwater, I just removed the belt and basically replaced it (no rolling involved). Took about 2 tries to get it.

As for the BCD removal/replacement underwater, we were expected to replace the BCD much like putting on a T-shirt - hold it upside down and pull it over your head. Several times during the exercise, the 2nd stage was dislodged from a student's mouth while doing this. I remember taking it on/off much like a jacket.

Is this a new standard technique? A cursory Google search didn't show anything similar to what they are teaching.

There is no "standard" technique for either of the two skills. There are several techniques for each of the skills. Some instructors will teach one method while others will teach more than one method. There are some techniques that are easier or harder depending on the environment and equipment configuration. In addition, each person will find one method simpler or more challenging than another.

I just completed my OW in March and this is the technique that was in the training videos and taught by the dive master.

I show my students both techniques and let them choose. I can't believe it took an hour. It usually takes my students a minute or so.

The methods you're describing (roll to put the weight belt in place and put on BCD over your head, like a t-shirt) are really smooth and impressive... after you've mastered them. I've never expected my OW students to do these skills this way. And how well they work really depends on gear configuration: trying to do the overhead BCD replacement is very different when you have integrated weights vs without, especially with a thick wetsuit (i.e. a lot of weight in the BCD.)

Your instructor should be able to show you several options to accomplish these skills. If he's insistent that you do it one particular way... well, hmmm.

To answer your question: no, this is neither a new technique, nor a standard (i.e. everyone must do it this way) technique nor a new standard technique.

I show my students both techniques and let them choose. I can't believe it took an hour. It usually takes my students a minute or so.
The problem seemed to be that after removing the weight belt, the buoyancy changed so that we were more vertical in the water so the belt tended to wrap around our legs rather than waist. Everyone did it at least 6 times before the instructor was satisfied.

Your instructor should be able to show you several options to accomplish these skills. If he's insistent that you do it one particular way... well, hmmm.

I think mastering the "easiest" method first would have been the best course. Then show the more difficult techniques.

I have not been very happy, in general, with the instruction. They are very cocksure, i.e "When our students do a referral, the other instructors are amazed at their level of competence!"

In addition, they have been very disorganized - forgetting gear, not remembering what skills were done in our pool sessions etc. At least 20-30 minutes late for every pool/academic session. Once, we drove an hour to the instructor's home only to find out she wasn't there. Another instructor fell ill and she forgot to call us to cancel. Another time, the instructor was late because he was at a major league baseball game and the game took longer than he expected.

I will post a more complete review after the course is done.

A caveat at the beginning:

I do NOT teach either technique, for the two skills. AND, I do not 'like' either technique, particularly the 'hold it upside down and pull it over your head' BCD replacement technique. I have specific reasons for my disdain of these techniques, having to do with both ease and safety. BUT, . . . both techniques are perfectly acceptable in the context of the performance standards for the particular skills. And, I can both personally perform the skills that way, and demonstrate the skills that way, with reasonable fluidity - i.e. at a 'demonstration quality' level.

Now, in your situation: it sounds like the Instructor, and the DM, failed to brief the skill properly, and/or demonstrated the skill poorly, IF it took that long for student to master it. Your description would not inspire confidence.

And, as an aside: I also would NEVER allow a boyfriend to participate in an OW class with his girlfriend, as a 'refresher'. When I have couples in a class, I make a point of separating them to the fullest extent possible, - they are NEVER buddies , for example. But, that is just me. If I have students who don't like that, they are free to train with another instructor.

And, as an aside: I also would NEVER allow a boyfriend to participate in an OW class with his girlfriend, as a 'refresher'. When I have couples in a class, I make a point of separating them to the fullest extent possible, - they are NEVER buddies , for example. But, that is just me. If I have students who don't like that, they are free to train with another instructor.

I can see both sides of this issue. She is much more comfortable doing the e-Learning with me - it's less of a "chore" with someone. I try to stay out of the way during pool sessions. I approach it like a new student and don't offer anything unless I am asked specifically. I can certainly see where this could be an issue with others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom