PADI open water max depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to PADI its 60 feet - but many people violate that every day including myself. Why is it important?

I agree with Walter - who should go deeper - someone with hundreds of dives and only their OW cert or a dive with 20 dives and their advanced cert. Of course the answer is not enough information - but its much more likely the guy with hundreds of dives is better prepared - and this is coming from someone with only 20 dives - I don't have alot of experience and I need more and I freely admit it :) Course I don't have my advanced yet either and I've been to 100 feet - shocking :)

skinerd:
Quick question, what is the max depth for someone with a PADI open water card?
Thanks

It is the bottom. That is because the Certification police hide there waiting to check your card and see if you are certified to be down there. :D

Actually, 60feet is the recommended max depth for a new diver with the OW cert. 100feet is the recommended max depth for a diver with AOW certs and then 130feet is the recommended max depth with a deep water specialty cert/recommended max limit for recreational diving.

It also comes down to how comfortable you are and how much experience you have.

again, as i think most people have pointed out, these are recommended depths.

i began to dive in 70 to 90 feet of water immediately after OW certification,
and had done several dives past 100 feet (in the Cayman Islands) prior to my
AOW certification.

but all of these dives were easy dives, with an anchor line, with next to no
current, and good vis.

only once did i "abort" a dive during this time. it was the second dive of a
two-dive day, and the current had really picked up. i felt i was in over my
head, and headed back for the boat.

in this instance, it wasn't the depth but the conditions that rang the alarm bell
"you are in over your head."

another time, also shortly after my OW class, i "semi-aborted" a dive. upon getting to the botton, the visibility was crap... maybe 10 feet. at that point, i decided to stick close to the anchor line and go no further. i had a great dive, all in about 20 square feet of ledge.

again, it was the visibility, not the depth, that rang the bells.

both these dives i'm talking about were done in 80-90 feet of water
but the current and visibility would have still been the key factors if
the dive had been at 60 feet.

Another factor is also the waters that you are diving in. A 25-30m dive when the water is 12ºC on the surface (Sorry, couldn't be bothered converting to the "old units") is a very different dive than a 25-30m dive in the tropics where the water is 30ºC on the surface. Unless of course its a dropoff into blackness hundreds of metres below, and the diver isn't 100% confident with buoyancy control....

So true Halthron....
I've worked in a lot of different places around the world -- by law, (and also usually insurance coverage wise - if you want a payout that is) your depth limit is determined by what card you have, regralardless of the number of dives you have under your belt, so PADI OW is 60ft/18m - though many places definatly take into account your expericnce and comfort level in the waters.

Back
Top Bottom