BSAC/PADI Equivalency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all,

What are the equivalencies of BSAC Sports Diver in other organisations? CMAS says 1 star and from what I can find PADI recognise it as Open Water/Advanced. However BSAC recognise PADI rescue as the equivalent and CMAS 2-star

Hi all,

What are the equivalencies of BSAC Sports Diver in other organisations? CMAS says 1 star and from what I can find PADI recognise it as Open Water/Advanced. However BSAC recognise PADI rescue as the equivalent and CMAS 2-star
Here is a rough guide to equivalents

Each organization makes its own rules to equivalency. So you can understand them being a little biased.

If you are after a card that has CMAS 2 star on it. It requires BSAC sports diver + 10 additional dives.

Have to ask the question, why are you asking this?

Edit: Assuming my memory is good. I got a CMAS 2 star card with just sports diver. But that was many moons ago when BSAC was part of CMAS

Each organization makes its own rules to equivalency. So you can understand them being a little biased.

If you are after a card that has CMAS 2 star on it. It requires BSAC sports diver + 10 additional dives.

Asking out of curiosity mainly, other reason for asking is to find out whether there are any skills that BSAC Sports Diver doesn't cover, that other similar levels of certification do. Trying to expand my knowledge on what's appropriate for "rough" skill level determination between organisations straight after certification.

Edit: Assuming my memory is good. I got a CMAS 2 star card with just sports diver. But that was many moons ago when BSAC was part of CMAS
What about the backgas deco in BSAC sports diver, that is never covered in any of the PADI rec courses? SSI offers a deco specialty.

You can really compare like this.

BSAC will recognise PADI AOW somewhere between ocean diver and sports diver, so you’ll have only ocean diver as equivalence. That’s probably mostly because you get some rescue elements in Sports Diver.

If you do PADI Rescue you only get Sports Diver as equivalence, I imagine it’s because Dive Leader will have you organise trips and do some Dive Planning and have you more in an organiser role than just a diver.

The equivalence does not mean that one rank is lower, it means that it does not meet all/enough the criteria to have the equivalent grade (in the mindset of the BSAC HQ)

I don’t think that’s the right way to think in terms of skills: you should more think about what you want to do and go for this.

Once you are Sports Diver, the next grades aren’t only about skills, they are about things like organising a Club Trip, with learning to read the tides and how to ensure that it is safe, etc. or how to organise an expedition.

You may or not may not want to do this but it’s not about mastering skills per se.

You’ll have to maybe choose whether you want to be more active in the club organising trips or if you want to do more technical dives or if you want to become a club instructor. You can do all of it … but you’ll have to split your time: it’s rare to see someone who has enough time to be an active club instructor and time to progress at the same time on technical dives for example.

Looks at the official page from bsac for what they accept:

Asking out of curiosity mainly, other reason for asking is to find out whether there are any skills that BSAC Sports Diver doesn't cover, that other similar levels of certification do. Trying to expand my knowledge on what's appropriate for "rough" skill level determination between organisations straight after certification.
Some of the skills that are covered in BSAC sports diver that may not be in other qualifications are:
Nitrox.
Rescue skills
Depth down to 40m (after depth progression dives)
Light deco. Mentioned on another thread recently.

I don’t know the PADI rescue diver course. I assume it covers more rescue stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom