Padi open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey6879

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A part from price what are the main differences between a padi open water and a padi open water referral course?

Where and with whom you do your open water dives

Here is a more complete answer.

A PADI scuba certification course, as with all agencies, has three parts: academic learning, pool training, and open water dives.

In locations that might not have really suitable diving nearby for at least part of the year, it is common for students to do the first two parts locally and then travel to another location to do the open water portion. When they do that, their local instructor gives them a referral indicating completion of those two parts. The instructor in the remote location than provides a "referral course," which consists of a quick review to make sure you really did learn something, followed by the OW dives.

My wife bagged the second day of our OW dives when we took the course back in 2005. It was a typical cold, wet, late Fall weekend here in the Pacific Northwest, viz was poor and she decided she'd had enough just as we were about to descend for our third dive!

At the time I thought that meant she had flunked the course, but after the day was over we were pleasantly surprised to learn that she could finish up elsewhere via the referral program. In the meantime, since she had completed two of the four dives she got a PADI "Scuba Diver" card, which we were told authorized her to dive but only under the personal supervision of an Instructor.

So she finished up a few months later in Mexico. Initially, I had some misgivings about the quality of the instruction in Mexico but as it turned out the Instructor was excellent. My wife now has about 100 dives under her weightbelt and it may have never happened if not for the referral program.

Had we known about the referral program, I doubt I would have been able to coax her into the water the first day.

Last edited:
Funny; I originally planned to do my class with the classroom and pool work in Seattle, and the OW portion in Maui (had the plane tickets bought and everything!). I got mau-maued into doing the dives here, and I am SO glad I did.

The referral course is designed so that you can complete the academic and swimming pool (confined water) elements of the course at home, and then complete your actual open water scuba dives at a different location/school.

The benefit of this is when you are planning a holiday to a location that offers great scuba diving. You can get the 'boring stuff' done at home... and then just enjoy the actually scuba diving once you get on holiday. It saves you sitting in a classroom and having your head stuck in a book once you get on holiday.

However, it isn't a good option if you intend to continue diving in your home location (assuming that your home location has temperate water conditions (Europe and northern USA states etc). You will only have experience in tropical conditions.... which will mean that you will remain 'under-experienced' for the conditions at home (reduced vizibility, waves, temperature etc).

If you only intend to dive abroad, in good conditions, it is a fine option.

How long do I have from the time I complete course till the time that I take the OWD

Typically you have a year to complete a class. However individual instructors, before they take you in the ocean, may require more extensive pool and classroom reviews depending upon how long it has been since you completed those modules. These skills need to be fresh in your mind and muscle memory so that you dive safely and have an enjoyable experience. Your referring instructor and your recieving instructor should be in contact regarding your progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom