PADI or SSI? And Why????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, it's the instructor and not the agency.

And as to the comment that agencies do not accept certifications of other agencies, that is not true. Cross-certification is done all the time and I have yet to meet an instructor who will not accept an AOW student who took his OW from a different agency.

Happy diving.:)

some incorrect info.

Cross-cerification occurs all the time. Whether you're talking OW, AOW, Dive Master/Dive Con, instructors......

The different agencies DO recognize each others certifications. This is in part, due to all the major agencies being members of RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council), the body that sets training standards.

As a PADI AI and being associated with PADI for 15 years, I have my preferences.

That said, I do agree that the quality of the instructor can make or break any agency's program.

Every agency has their share of excellent and sub-par instructors.

I would much prefer you get trained by a great instructor from any agency than a sub-standard one.

Interview them as if they are going to be babysitting your child.

Make a list of perhaps 5-10 questions you have regarding scuba and classes.

Interview prospective instructors at the different dive shops. (The shops will tell you which instructor is teaching which classes.)

Ask each instructor for references - the names and numbers of 2 recent students of theirs. Call the references. Ask how they enjoyed the class, or what they didn't like about it.

The more effort you put into finding a quality instructor, the better chance you'll have of enjoying a quality class.

Doc

bottom line is, most, if not all of the time the instructors matter more than the certification agencies...

knowing the instructor, i think is the most important thing...

i would suggest that SSI may have better customer service than does PADI. It is on another post, so I wnt go through it again, but I find PADI (at least PADI Asia) very slow in providing cards, etc.

Definitely PADI.

-ah, I mean, SSI.

No..no, PADI, I think.

Or....

Well, heck, flip a coin. And talking to instructors? I think you only find out which instructors are the best talkers, not necessarily the best instructors.

The best students will learn from anybody, and the worst students wouldn't learn from NWGratefulDiver.

Besides, you learn the most after you get done with the class.

Pick one. Do your best. Find a mentor. Dive a lot.

Did you hear that, I think there is an echo in here listen again

Its the Instructor, not the Agency that counts!!
Don't get caught in the hype and have fun.

I totaly agree. We went to a PADI dive shop and they guy there was like a used car sales man. Wanted to sign us up before we even got a chance to talk much about anything. We went to an SSI dive shop (Not knowing the difference between the 2) and immeadiatly liked the Instructor and the owner of the shop. We ended up spending almost 2 hours there talking and divers were coming in just to hang out or fill their tanks. It was a really nice fun atmosphere. We came back the next day and signed up and bought our stuff.
Not understanding this in the begining, but I sure do appreciate it now is the fact that they have a dive club and we are in it. We go on trips and outings with other divers in the shop of all levels and it is so much fun to have the commrodory of a group. It has helped us to dive more than if we were just out on our own.
Our SSI course was more expensive than other shops PADI course. We were willing to pay it because of the great group of people we met there and I am so glad we made the decision we did. You will know if it is right. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom