PADI or SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think that SSI must allow independant instructors?

I think that its their rules and that if you want to be in their game then you need to follow their rules. I tend to spend some time as an independant so I am not one of their instructors. If one of my shops that I teach for wants to go SSI then I will probably pick them up as an agency also.

PADI is the way the world learns to dive, so if you're looking for work in different islands, PADI would make you the most marketable.

NAUI is the better choice if you want higher standards and total academic freedom to structure your courses your way. I have made a lot of changes within the normal scope of diver education through NAUI, which has allowed me to teach my students use of a more modern equipment configuraiton, incorporate different breathing gasses into recreational specialties and more.

NAUI has also been great at coming up with courses of value (ie Wreck External Survey and Penetration, Master Scuba Diver vs. just swimming 4 times around a shipwreck and becoming a "wreck diver", or taking 5 specialties and being called a Master Scuba Diver).

Do your potential students want a course that is a little more involved, or do they want a course that requires the least amount of instructor/student contact, minimal hours and fewer open water dives?

I believe certification is earned, not bought.

SSI is an incredible marketting agency. They support their dive stores 110% and the students benefit from this support as well.

SDI has come on very strong the last few years as well. TDI/SDI have combined now become the 2nd largest agency in the world if you combine the tech and recreational agencies as 1.

There is always the agency vs. instructor debate. Yes, you will make your courses either par or above par, however, you want an agency that is going to support you and work with you, not against you.

You want an agency that you can have a good line of communication and can call upon in your moment of need, should you require anything.

All the agencies have customer service staff to assist in this.

The regional sales rep or regional managers are there for you as well, should you have questions.

It certainly won't hurt you to have a couple of agencies to choose from.

Start with one of the main agencies and see where your interests shift from there.

Good luck.

I am working on SSI instructor right now.

I chose SSI because the dive shop I started with is top notch. Without knowing the first thing about the agencies, I just shopped around and liked the feel of the shop, their professionalism, etc.

Long story, short, I am now working on Instructor, and it's SSI. The nice thing about it is you are affiliated with a shop. My professionalism speaks to theirs, and vice versa. I am going to be a "satellite" instructor, but still have shop affiliation, which is important to me. I know that all of my (future) students will not be steered wrong on information or gear when I send them into the shop for something.

PADI doesn't "play well" with others. PADI is not part of the Universal Referral program, whereby someone can start their lessons one place, and have them finished somewhere else. Nothing against them, but I think that is not good for the consumer/customer. In my mind, the customer comes first.

PADI doesn't "play well" with others. PADI is not part of the Universal Referral program, whereby someone can start their lessons one place, and have them finished somewhere else. Nothing against them, but I think that is not good for the consumer/customer. In my mind, the customer comes first.

Would you care to elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you're trying to say....

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom