PADI OW certified finally!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheerpig1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, I have posted a few questions/ comments on here and some requested an update so here it goes. I got certified at Lake Pleasant this weekend (In Arizona). It was definatly a great/interesting experience. First things first....I got all suited up in my wetsuit and I was really VERY nervous:xyxnervou .....the group swam out to the bouy to make our ascent (of course we all had buddies) My buddy was there to help and was experienced so he really helped to keep me calm. I freaked out at first because we had to do the regulator snorkel exchange, but every time I put my face in the water, my mask would flood and that freaked me out. ( I should say this is my second mask because my first did the same in the pool sessions.) This time I had a hood on, and the hood was on properly covering my mask.....thats fiasco one. Then after I thought I got that straightened out we started swimming again, and low and behold my fin fell off......and sank....Lucky for me it was still pretty shallow and my buddy dove down and grabbed it while I floated around.....fiasco two:17: . By this time I was really nervous and felt like I was not ready to do this......but I really really want to learn how to scuba so I calmed down and kept going...Then I finally reached the bouy, but I was still having mask problems and it really freaked me out...my dive instructor finally took off my snorkel, and my mask stopped flooding.:snorkels: .....which was great. We ascended and things from there on out went well, and I felt much more comfortable.

We practiced skills and I think I did pretty well, although I have learned that I am not a good underwater communicator at this point so I definatly need to work on that. :sleep: My instructor was great and very patient, and he explained everything to us. My problem was is I am a visual learner (as my scuba lessons have taught me), and if I see someone do a drill first, then I will understand and do it better, so going first on a drill was also a fiasco for me. We practiced out of air drills, Cesa, navigation, and other skills, and I am slowly building my confidence.

Day two of OW....loaded up my tank, something on my tank broke as we were loading it and all the air spilled out:thumbs_down: ....good thing we had extra tanks (I'll remember to bring an extra one from now on because of this!!!!) That was my third fiasco. Overall I had an absolute blast and I am looking forward to diving more...and eventually getting my advanced certification.

If anyone has suggestions on my mask flooding (needlessto say I am now an expert at clearing, and removing and clearing my mask!), or how to keep my fin in place (as it fell off in the pool sessions too) advice would be appreciated. (I have the booties with the lip on the heal, and mares fins with adjustable straps, and nobody could figure out why they kept slippin below the lip!!!) :confused:

What next.......

Congratulations on your accomplishments, Jenni! Great job!

One possible reason your mask is flooding is because of the hood. Sometimes it helps to put the hood on first down around your neck, put the mask on, then pull the hood up over the strap. This can create a different fit and decrease the flooding. Make sure your mask strap isn't too tight, also.

The only reason I can see for your fin falling off is that you weren't sized properly. Where does the back of the bottom of the fin end on your foot? It should end in the arch about 2/3rds back on your foot. Then cinching up the strap will make it stay on better. If the fin goes all the way to your heel, then cinching the strap won't do anything to tighten it.

Come out and dive with us sometime at Lake Pleasant. We're there every couple weeks (except for this month because we leave for Florida in the morning). Check out my website calendar for dates or PM/e-mail me.

hi and congrats on passing your OW

hmmmm - nothing really was a fiasco as noone died so take heart that they are all learning experinces.

as far as your mask..... look at your face shape and does the mask skirt suit your face, try out as many different styles you can to find the right one.

re fins, why did they fall off? too big for your foot? but i will suggest spring straps, i only got these this year and i LOVE them! wished i had them 10 years ago.

relax and enjoy... happy diving

Congratulations !
Now keep diving, keep studying, and keep learning !
Be safe !

Hey, congrats. I just finished my OW cert as well. I had a chance to go into the dive shop in town and try on about 20 masks, and found that only 2 of them fit REALLY well. Maybe I have a strange face size, I dont know, but listening to your story, I would really recommend you get your own mask, and be SURE to try it on first. Makes a huge difference.
I had a bit of a problem with the mask clearing during my pool sessions, and I knew that I had to get good at this is I was ever going to feel "safe" in the water. I dont like learning things half way. I need to feel like I am able to handle emergencys and an unforseen circumstance. I walked around my house with a mask half full of water, the whole week before my first OW dive in the ocean. I was nervous as anything, as I knew that the mask removal would be done during this test. When the time for the test came, I had no problems. Removed the mask, and boy was it cold on the face at 39 degrees. Then came the time to put the mask back on, and everything went well. I just had to remember to get that darn mask outa the way.

So, now we keep practicing and getting better at what we love to do. Good luck in your diving, and HAVE FUN!!

Almitywife has a good suggestion on spring straps. Other than that they just wasn't tight enough. The mask you had, was it yours? A rental? You mentioned, "the 2nd one". You need to go into you LDS and have someone fit you. (that knows what their doing) Not the, "oh I like this one". Your face maybe narrower etc. Did anyone show you hold the mask lightly on your face inhale slightly and if forms a good suction and without holding it you can walk around? Thats the fit you want.

Congrats on your cert. Now do the AOW class. With the right mask and new fin straps your in girl!

I just finished my PADI OW cert a couple of weeks ago myself. The mask issue-Did you have hair under the seal? Straps too loose? Or just a defective mask. The fin thing-Either the clip was not properly seated or the strap was below the bootie lip possibly.

My biggest hurdle was taking my mask off and putting it back on underwater. For some strange reason I try to breathe through my nose.:D Once I learned to blow bubbles out the nose while the mask was off-everything else was fine. You'll get the hang of it soon!

Well done on qualifying for your open Water, I just got mine on Thursday this week! What an experience.. the only thing I hated, was that it was jellyfish season in Antigua, and I kept panicking and wanting to get as far away from them as possible! Bit offputting, but I guess I will have to learn to live with them!
Won't be going too far from Europe in the next year or so, so any suggestions of places not too far from the UK would be appreciated!
Happy diving everyone
Katie
x

Congratulations on completing open water.

I think you'll be a better diver for having thing go wrong. Diving can be very easy when things go right, but it's important to know that you can keep your head when things go wrong, because if you dive enough, things will go wrong. Keeping calm can be the difference between a minor annoyance, and a major disaster. As you gain more experience, and recover from more situations, you'll build confidence in your capabilities as a diver.

Dive safe, dive often,

Ken

congrats on passing.

just keep in mind: Ascent = up. DEscent = down :wink:

Back
Top Bottom