PADI Rescue Diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've completed my AOW, have 50 post-certification dives, and taken the Red Cross course on CPR, AED, and Emergency First Aid.

The dive shop states the oxygen provider course is a required pre-req to Rescue Diver, while PADI's website states it's a recommended course after Rescue Diver. I understand the merits of taking the O2 course and I'm sure I'll take it on my way to DM, but is the O2 course really required PRIOR to Rescue?

TIA, as always!

It cant hurt to take it now.
I stopped taking PADI courses, because most (OK ALL) of the PADI shop I have gone to have played that game... Pre-Req, required equipment.
Check other LDS (if there are any) and see what they say.
Paul

This may be the shop's preference but it is NOT Required to have done the O2 course prior to Rescue! Go back and talk to them and point to PADI's website, it's right there!

[h=3]Prerequisites[/h]
Diver%20having%20fun%20during%20her%20scuba%20diving%20training.jpg
To enroll in the PADI Rescue Diver course, you must

• Be 12 years or older
  • Have a PADI Adventure Diver certification (or have a qualifying certification from another organization)
  • Be trained and current for first aid and CPR within the previous two years

My understanding is that PADI sets minimum prerequisites and standards and dive shops and instructors are free to require more (but not less). Personally, I appreciate a dive shop that takes diving seriously enough to risk losing customers to shops that train divers to minimum standards.

I think it is a good idea to get training in the administration of O2, in fact that is what Exercise 9 of the Rescue Course does and the instructor can go as in-depth as they want on that exercise.. I just taught the emergency O2 course and it has a lot of good info in it. The PADI Instructor Manual says the following about prerequisites:Diver Prerequisites
• 12 years old
Note:

12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifi cations
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certifi cation – must have
completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge
Development and Rescue Exercises in confi ned water
• EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24
months.
Training may be completed along with rescue
diver course.

As was just said, you will have to administer O2 as a part of the course. Whether it is required or not, I would recommend doing it before the Rescue course. That will make what you do int he Rescue course a reminder of what you have already learned rather than new learning you are piling on to the rest of what is in the course.

One thing about diving is it always has the potential to have DCI. the best way to counter DCI is Oxygen. Its always good to know something about how to handle a situation when it arises

The real question is would you want to be rescued by someone who knew how to administer oxygen or not?

The O2 Provider Course is not a prerequisite for any PADI course or rating.

The real question is would you want to be rescued by someone who knew how to administer oxygen or not?

By that logic, I guess we need to make medical school and completion of an Emergency Medicine residency program a pre-req....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom