PADI Scuba Diver or Equivalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
Has anyone done a PADI Scuba Diver cert? My wife is not a strong swimmer and would never make 200 yards nor does she want to. I'd like to see her be able to get some more experience diving w/o going through intro to scuba each time.

I looked at the PADI site which is remarkably uninformative about what would be required. It's that way for all the certs AFAICT. Guess they don't want to limit the certifiers. :)

So, what's involved in the scuba diver cert? She did the Intro To Scuba just fine which really has got many or most of the elements of BOW in it like recovering a reg, clearing your mask and such. I think she'd do fine at 30' under the supervision of a DM or instructor. Thanks!
Terry

I would not recommend anyone learning to dive who cannot swim. If your wife cannot swim 200 yds (not timed) then for her safety she should not learn to dive until she can. It is possible to get an instructor to certify her without swimming 200 yds. I would be very concerned about a loved one of mine in that situation. I would suggest swimming lessons first or perhaps tennis. If you love her, your first concern should be her safety.

I am with Walter on this one.

These min standards are in place for a reason. Swim lessons are a great idea if she really wants to pursue SCUBA.

Andy

...but it doesn't answer my question. She or anyone else taking an Intro To Scuba and then going out in open water under the supervision of a DM or Instructor is no less safe. This is done routinely around the world and allows divers to gain experience. Maybe she'd be inspired to swim better, but who knows. Believe me, I've thought about this and just want a simple answer.

Without getting into whether PADI should stop doing Intro, can anyone tell me the answer to my original post, please?
Terry

Give the local (or any) PADI shop a call and ask them. Besides, as scuba diver, you still have to dive under a DM's supervision.

Another option (if I'm not mistaken) is that instead of the 200 yrd swim, you can do a 400yrd trip with mask snorkel and fins.

Say for some reason your wifes BCD gets a hole in it and deflates either underwater or at the surface. It happens I have seen two holed by fishhooks.

She is seperated from you her husband and buddy or a novice DM. She is alone She would have to ditch her gear as if she leaves it on place she may well sink and drown with no air in the BCD, there is a bit of a current running out to sea or away from the boat she waves her arms but no one sees her, she blows her whistle but no one comes.......

Learning to swim is a good idea if you are planning on being in the water

Do you mean the Basic Open Water Cert?

If so, PADI requires a 200 yard swim and 10 minutes of treading water.

I'm not a fast swimmer, and I'm not graceful, but it really wasn't hard for me to pass these tests.

I really agree with everyone to date. A swimming class could prove helpful. Heck it's even fun. I enjoyed mine, though it was many years ago.

The swimming requirement is not timed and there is no requirement for specific swim stroke. So if your wife can float easily try using the backstroke. Also the ten minute float/treading water is easy if she can float.

I think the requirements to be scuba diver certified is the same as that of becoming open water certified. The only difference is that you have to make 2 open water dives instead of 4 for the scuba diver certification.

I didn't answer you original question intentionally. If you want your wife to die, you can do it without my help. IMHO, learning to dive without being able to swim greatly increases the odds she'll die.

Back
Top Bottom