PADI Specialty Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's kind of related and didn't want to start a new thread but am I missing something or is there no-where on the PADI site to pro-check specialties that someone has teaching status with?

I checked myself and I'm listed as OWSI (which is correct) but I've also done 7-8 specs with a CD which i can't find out how to prove :p

Leon

Log in to the PADI Pro Site. Go to My Account. Go to My Professional Member Ratings.

Do you not have the specific Specialty Instructor certification cards?

That's exactly what I was after and for some reason have never seen that option! Thanks!

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Ok sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm SO confused after today.

Ok who can explain to me exactly what is supposed to be taught by a CD to get the SI rating.

Here's my problem. The CD I have been dealing with phrased it to me like this today: "I will give you the paper work for E90 per spec but if you want me to do any of the dives with you then its E150 per spec" Which leads me to the question what exactly is required for the CD to "teach" me. Cause clearly he's not all that invested in teaching this class and frankly I'm confident enough in my ability to teach the spec I want, I just don't have enough other certs to self certify.

I know the inevitable response I'm going to get is that if I don't have that many certs what am I doing trying to teach specialities, but I'm in a bit of a unique situation that I actually do need to be able to do this.

If you are an MSDT you can "self-certity" to teach a number of Specialties. You can find those on the Pro Site. You do not need a CD to deal with those, if you have the experience and are capable (your decision).

If you are not able to go the self-certifying route, you will just have to bite the bullet. However, I question the motives of the CD based on the way it was worded to you. Dives would be an integral part of the teaching process if you are going the CD route.

The supposed advantage of going through a CD is to learn some of the teaching points, both in the classroom and in the water.

I did a number with our CD - I found them useful for the teaching side.

Those I "self-certified" were ones that I felt I did not need to learn any further tips. I had assisted on enough classes as a CA that I already know what and how I wanted to present those classes.

Bill

CORRECTION: As has been pointed out to me, the criteria is not MSDT, the criteria is OWSI with 25 certifications.

Last edited:
I'm only an OSWI at the moment. I have 6 certs total so self certifying is pretty much out. Yeah we all question the motives of the CD, but he's the only one I've got at the moment so I'm working with what I have. Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me from experience what CD's tend to include in what they're teaching. Just techniques and ways to present etc. Cause I'm all for figuring that out myself, wouldn't be anything new. Plus I have assisted on the courses I need the spec certs for multiple times, just not in the language I need to teach them in.

I will PM you the notes I took from a couple of the SI classes I took with the CD. They might give you an idea. Of course it does not mean that all will do it the same way. These are also specific to our teaching conditions and local practice.

Bill

If you are an MSDT you can "self-certity" to teach a number of Specialties. You can find those on the Pro Site. You do not need a CD to deal with those, if you have the experience and are capable (your decision).

Are we now back to saying that you have to be an MSDT to self-certify? My understanding was that an OWSI with at least 25 certs could self-certify (provided they have experience in that area), as was stated earlier in this thread. I'm curious why it keeps being stated as MSDT, is that how it used to be?

oreocookie, you are correct, sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom