PADI - Split up checkout dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an option that you might consider if you can only do the first 2 dives after doing the referral, and that is getting a Scuba Diver certification. It may or may not be an advantage in this situation, but after 2 dvies she will be certified to do shallow dives while accompanied by an instructor, after which she can upgrade to full OW diver.

There is an option that you might consider if you can only do the first 2 dives after doing the referral, and that is getting a Scuba Diver certification. It may or may not be an advantage in this situation, but after 2 dvies she will be certified to do shallow dives while accompanied by an instructor, after which she can upgrade to full OW diver.

I always forget that's a thing but it's not a bad idea. Good suggestion.

Thank you. That's the information I needed. If she enjoys it, she's the type of person who will excel because she can't stand to not be great at the things she does. Just gotta get over the hump (and we have a pool we can use for practice drills to make sure she keeps with it between checkouts if it takes too long).

If you go this route then keep a good log-book. If you take breaks then get stamps, signatures and dates written into the log book at every step to avoid dive shops giving you bllsht. Your wife sounds like an amazing woman. I'm sure if you keep supporting her and you get it organized how you need to have it that she'll end up certified and competent at the end of the line.

R..

Oh.... I should point out that PADI has what they call a "referral" form. That's the formal "hand over" on paper from one instructor to another. You NEED THIS DOCUMENT if you intend to switch from one instructor to another outside of a "team teaching" context. (team teaching is multiple instructors within one dive shop).

Get that form before every break in training. Double check the details. Don't lose it.

R..

If you go this route then keep a good log-book. If you take breaks then get stamps, signatures and dates written into the log book at every step to avoid dive shops giving you bllsht. Your wife sounds like an amazing woman. I'm sure if you keep supporting her and you get it organized how you need to have it that she'll end up certified and competent at the end of the line.

R..

Great points. I've always been bad at it but if I tell her she should do it, she'll get excited. I can just imagine the smile that will come from thinking she gets to start a binder. Teachers... weird people. She's pretty awesome though. I question her taste in men (I've met her husband) but I tricked her into marrying me and there's no take-backs!

Oh.... I should point out that PADI has what they call a "referral" form. That's the formal "hand over" on paper from one instructor to another. You NEED THIS DOCUMENT if you intend to switch from one instructor to another outside of a "team teaching" context. (team teaching is multiple instructors within one dive shop).

Get that form before every break in training. Double check the details. Don't lose it.

R..

Invaluable information and I'll make a note it. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I question her taste in men (I've met her husband) but I tricked her into marrying me and there's no take-backs!
I can so relate to that. I'm also married to an utterly -- literally -- amazing woman with jaw dropping qualities. However she has a serious short circuit with respect to her taste in men. How she continues to tolerate me is utterly beyond me. If *I* had to live with me, I may have become homicidal!

Invaluable information and I'll make a it. Thank you very much.
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

R..

Reactions: tuk

R..
Training log book , which is a standard requirement, has referral form. Simply fill out after knowledge development modules,confined water and training dives. Bring copy of medical form and copy of elearning (if done) completion form.

What oly says is relevant and even though I would love to live in the 21st century I have to make you aware of the fact that PADI's digital services are... well.... horrible.

I think they hired the cheapest IT people on the planet they could find and this is visible on every web page and in every digital offering they have. Don't let a dive-shop talk you in to keeping a digital log book. It's crap... BEYOND crap. buy a paper log book and get all that stuff written down. Seriously.

PADI will eventually enter the digital age but they need to put a lot more money into it and make a LOT better choices in ICT partners than they have been.... Don't go digital ... at least not yet....

R..

Last edited:
My wife insists that father's day is an important thing and won't let me skip it so I told her I wanted her to get certified. The trouble is, we're land locked (Austin... ish) and the lakes are pretty murky and we have a 10 month old. I'd rather her do the open water dives some place where she can see and I'd really like to be there as her buddy. We'll be in FL for about a week in July but we won't have enough time to get in four dives.

I know she can do the classes online (holy crap is that etouch stuff terrible!) and the confined water dives here and the do open water somewhere else but can we split the open water dives? Can she do two and some skills on the FL trip and then a couple more down the line?

Hello Tuk,

1. Start her training, document everything, try to get a discount, since they will not be doing last 2 check out dives.
2. Contact a FL instructor and setup compensation and schedule.
3. Bring referral and dive training documentation, all of it.
4. Expect to do a Skills session in the morning.
5. Check out dives after.
6. Certified
7. I known instructors that input your cert while still on the boat.

For me, if an instructor did not perform #4, I would be worried. While at Lake Denton, FL this weekend, we watched a lot of bad instructors doing training. Performing the basic skills for the 2nd instructor, he can be feel safe your wife knows her stuff. I might even request this, so it is not sprung on you and try to get extra mon
ey saying your not ready.

The biggest thing is finding the instructor. Since its OW, should not be two hard. Depending where you are heading, may be able to help you find one. Lots of instructors will let you go on the check out dives, just tell the DM you are solo and he will pair you up with another divers, let your wife do her thing. If you do a 3 dip, then take pictures on the 3rd... Just do not interrupt the training.

Last edited:

@tuk this is how I came to get my cert. We were on vacation South of Cancun and had always wanted to get my cert. Did my first three modules there then finished up with a local dive shop when we got home. I don't see any reason why you couldn't flip flop it. Just coordinate with the shops you are going to use beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom