PADI Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Trimix???

:confused:

Oops, thought I'd wandered into the Scuba Humor forum for a minute.

Hmmm....

Fin pivots at 180', anyone?

Or how about wearing steel doubles, a couple of stages, and using your drysuit for buoyancy?

metridium once bubbled...
PADI Trimix???

:confused:

Oops, thought I'd wandered into the Scuba Humor forum for a minute.

Hmmm....

Fin pivots at 180', anyone?

Or how about wearing steel doubles, a couple of stages, and using your drysuit for buoyancy?

I'm not sure what your experience with tech classes is but I have seen lots of tech instructors doing skills like valve shut downs and lift bad deployment sitting on a platform or the bottom. The DSAT class, in fact requires these skills to be performed midwater. The performance requirements are very clear and I'm sure they will do at least as good of a job of inforcing the standards as the older tech agencies.

I have the DSAT tech rec standards and there are no fin pivots required. I also don't recall any text in the standards that suggest you use your suit for buoyancy control when wearing double 104's.

IMO, there are things that the DSAT tech courses could be slamed for but you missed all of them.

ericfine50 once bubbled...
I am interested in seeing where they get the instructors from. For a long time it seems PADI has put out the message that only air, above 130 fsw is the only type of diving to do.

Eric

Well, maybe at one time but they have had a nitrox class for a long time. At present most of the DSAT instructors are also tech instructors for other agencies. So...you may get the same instructor whether you buy a DSAT or a TDI course. I would expect that to change in the future.

Technical diving has come a long way in just the last few years. It doesn't suprise me that some agencies, instructors and divers who were not interested a couple of years ago are interested now.

There are also business issues. PADI/DSAT spent some money to develop the program and the materials. It doesn't make sense to do that until you think the market is such that you will get a return on your investment.

Mike,

That is true. When I worked on a boat, the PADI instructors I saw were not the best, I am not saying that it is that way for all of them. but the talk abuot nitrox (padi was teaching it) was that is was bad and a 7 foot hose would strangle someone. I just want to see people teach the class that can teach a class at this level. Lets wait and see what happens.
Eric

MikeFerrara wrote...

I'm not sure what your experience with tech classes is
Prospective tech student who remembers PADI teaching both things I mentioned. Have you heard of any plans to stop teaching drysuit buoyancy?

Could you clarify PADI's relationship with DSAT?

WreckWriter once bubbled...

There's no point in using it. 100% is much better in my opinion.

WW

ps- Read this article http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_backersDozen.htm for the science behind it.

Thanks for the link WW, but I saw very little *science* there. It is mostly a totally worthless rant.
Granted, 100% is better, but 80% is also useful. Each to their own:)

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
It is mostly a totally worthless rant.

I don't agree with this but you're right, to each his own.

WW

metridium once bubbled...
Prospective tech student who remembers PADI teaching both things I mentioned. Have you heard of any plans to stop teaching drysuit buoyancy?

Could you clarify PADI's relationship with DSAT?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to sway you toward taking the DSAT class. IMO, about the time you start taking divers below 130 (or there about) you should be teaching trimix. Anyone smart enough or good enough to do deep dives that require multiple gasses and staged decompression can handle a couple of additional calculations.

I also think some phisiology is appropriate to learn at this level (or sooner) and there is little to none in the current DSAT courses.

PADI as well as other agencies do use fin pivots when introducing a new diver to buoyancy control. whether or not you think this is useful it has nothing to do with technical training.

PADI, as well as most other agencies do teach using the dry suit for buoyancy control in single tank recreational diving. The reasoning is that when using a single tank and properly weighted about the time you add enough gas to control the squeeze your neutral. Another point worthy of not is that some (most?) dry suit manufacturers recommend that methode in their literature. Most agencies will be very slow to tell you to ignore the manufacturer recommendation on how to use a piece of equipment. I disagree with the practice but when wearing double 104's it will be very difficult to use the suit for buoyancy control so again as far as the DSAT tech class goes I don't think it's relevant. I have never seen the standards for the IANTD or TDI drysuit classes so I don't know what they teach. The only agency that I know of for a fact that teaches not to use the suit is GUE and they don't have a drysuit class. Except for the new triox class and DIRF they don't have any recreational diving classes at all. I wouldn't recommend any tech training if you haven't made freinds (one way or the other) with your dry suit. Applying some common sense if you train with an instructor who does 95% of his dives in double 104's, what do you think they will tell you.

DSAT is a Corp affiliate of PADI. I don't know how the leagal papers are worded but essentially DSAT does things like video production, tables and in general all the technical stuff.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom