PADI vs SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okokdude

New
Reaction score
Hi all
I am going to take a scuba course again after 15 years and my local dive shops have both PADI and SSI. some are pushing PADI and some SSI - I need some non Bias advice on which to take

thanks
Shon

Either.

I too have been taken both courses. If you want to make a decision I would say, if they both cover the same material which they should. Then what is left to consider is the instructor. I believe the instructor makes all the difference. If they teach in a style that you can go with, if not then you will be completely frustrated and diving can be frustrating enough just trying to get used to your equipment and the new underwater enviroment. Also if you are taking an accelerated course then the instructor has to be even more on top of it, because there is alot to teach in such a short period of time.

my 2 cents, worth 10...keep the change

Dive ON
E

IMHO it is not a matter of which agency to certify with but rather a matter of which instructor is going to give you the best instruction. I have taken SSI courses, TDI and PADI. I am now going exclusivly with a PADI LDS not because it is PADI but because of the level of instruction given. Makes all the difference in the world. Speak with the instructors and see who you feel more comfortable with and who you feel is going to go that extra step to give you a little more and not just walk you thru it.

jbliesath:
Yep, I agree. I have both certs. My preference is SSI, only because they require stress and rescue before AOW. Other than that, your choice.

Jack
Is that new? SSI didn't require that when I got my AOW through them a few years ago.

It makes no difference what Cert. Agency you use. What makes the difference is the competence of the Instructor. Speak with a couple of Instructors and base your decision on who you think would be the best Instructor, then make your decision....

ChikkenNoodul:
Is that new? SSI didn't require that when I got my AOW through them a few years ago.
I am a SSI instructor. Stress & Rescue is required for the Master Diver Card, not the advanced. For advanced you have to take 4 specialities AND have logged 24 dives, so no advance card right out of open water class.

As lorien mentioned it is more about the instructor than the agency. I honestly would speak to all the instructors you can first to see which one is going to spend the time with you and make certain you're ready to go. How many pool sessions are you getting? How much time? What happens if the instructor or you feel you aren't ready for open water at the conclusion of the class.

okokdude:
Hi all
I am going to take a scuba course again after 15 years and my local dive shops have both PADI and SSI. some are pushing PADI and some SSI - I need some non Bias advice on which to take

I'm SSI, but my answer to you is:

Whichever one is going to give you the PROPER instruction. It doesn't matter which agency certifies you, what matters is the instructor. Both agencies have good and bad instructors, it's up to you to determine which has the better in your locale.

Do some research on the instructors at each of the LDS' ... :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom