Pain around the appendix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kronek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, just got back from my checkout dives, and I was noticing some pain around my appendix. I have had a bit of drama with my appendix before, but its never flared up since then (7+ years).

However, the suit was also very tight around the boys. Could this just be me having a serious frontal wedgie, or could it be my appendix?

For the record, I AM going to the Doctor on Tuesday to get him to poke around, but figured why not ask online first.

When I used to dive wet, or forget to position the boys properly in a dry suit, the pain centers around the boys (or deep in the belly like when the boys are played with too rough). I don't know where my appendix is, but I've seen folks who had appendix issues have them flare up after diving. I'd be watching that pain very closely.

The pain was basically half way around my body on the right side even with my belly button. With luck thats all it is!

Good thing you're going to the doctor, because that's exactly what I would have suggested. 'Better to be safe than sorry' is a very cliched phrase, but it's very true.

Could it be just digestive gases due to the pressure changes or swallowing air while underwater?

I get pains a little like that every time I am on a long haul flight.

Hey all, just got back from my checkout dives, and I was noticing some pain around my appendix. I have had a bit of drama with my appendix before, but its never flared up since then (7+ years).

At the risk of reprising my role as "Mr. Obvious", you should see a doctor.

You might want to see one before next Tuesday, since a ruptured appendix is dangerous.

flots.

If your pain is increasing, or if it interferes with normal movement, don't delay seeing a physician. Appendicitis, in the majority of cases, is a disease which goes from mild to severe in about 24 hours. Uncomplicated appendicitis is at worst an overnight stay in the hospital and a couple of weeks of no lifting; ruptured appendicitis is life-threatening.

If your pain is mild and especially if it is intermittent, it is not unreasonable to monitor it for a few hours. If it is steadily worsening, go to the hospital.

Kronek - As the survivor of a ruptured appendix, I say get your butt to the doctor ASAP and don't wait until Tuesday. The pain will subside when the appendix ruptures, so don't take that as a sign that you are getting better. I ended up with a drain hanging out of my gut for three weeks and a four day hospital stay.

The worst thing that could happen by going to the doctor ASAP is that they tell you to take better care of your junk while diving...

I went for my other 2 check out dives and it was much less annoying. I would say the pain was a 3 or 4 on Saturday and a 2 today. I took more care when putting my wetsuit and weights on and it seemed to help. Still going to go to the Doctor Tuesday or to emerg if anything happens between now and then. Just wanted to post an update.

I brought it up with my dive master and he said it was just likely me not being used to having the suit on and it shouldn't be much to worry about.

I brought it up with my dive master and he said it was just likely me not being used to having the suit on and it shouldn't be much to worry about.

FWIW, unless your dive-master happens to be a medical professional (they do actually exist), don't put too much weight in their medical opinions about what's "OK".

If the DM says something is dangerous, you can bank on it being dangerous.

If they say something is OK or "don't worry about it", that's generally meaningless.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom