Pain on the sides of my head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I decided to go for a free dive yesterday afternoon at the local wreck, but when I got to only about 3 metres down I started feeling pain on the sides of my head that became more intense as I went down. In the end I decided to stop because it got too damn sore and I started getting a little worried.

I looked on the internet and found some sinus images. It seemed as though the pain was coming from my sphenoid or ethmoidal sinus, although it seemed to be a bit higher than the pictures show.
sinussparanasales1.jpg

As you can see, I've draw circles on the picture of whereabouts the pain felt like it was coming from. It's an awesome day today and I really wanna get out there, but I'm worried that I'll get there and have this problem again. So, if anyone knows what this is or has experienced something similar please help me out here! What's causing this, should I be worried?

Thanks.

maybe you didnt equalize properly (even though its a really shallow depth). thats the only option i can think of...

Hmm, usually my ears are the things that feel the pressure first and I'm always able to equalize them.

I sometimes get sinus blocks when freediving, often at the worst times. Don't push it, you'll only make the trama worse and increase the healing time. Decongestants might help, but if not then time will.

You might have a sinus infection, I've gotten them from kajak rolling in fresh water. Normally I don't feel anything or know I have one unless I try to dive.

Ralph

You should ask the question on the diving medicine forum.

Ralph

I went to the doc to check it out. He gave me a sinus spray and it sorted everything out 100%, I hardly have to equalize anymore, it's amazing!

Back
Top Bottom