Painting a steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shanoona

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!
I have already read several articles/posts about painting an older steel tank which start to get rusty. However, my question would be, is it possible to paint a brand new tank?

I ama girl through and through, and I purhased a brand new yellow tank (which was in a special offer, so i cold not resist). It is a 15L 230 bar steel tank by French company Roth Mions.

However, as the yellow color is aweful,, I was wondering, if I can just re-paint it? Without any cratching etc, as the coat should now be in a perfect condition. My idea was to just take a paint spray (as street "artists" use for grafitti) and just spray two layers of color on it. Theoretically, this should lt the original protection intact, right?

Or any other idea how to paint brand new tank?
I do not want stickers, etc, as you need to rmeove them for the annual checks.

Thank you all for ideas!

You will not get new paint to adhere without sanding the glossy surface of the existing paint.

Just don't worry about the color. You won't be able to see it when diving and it will make it easier for your dive buddy to find you.

Wait until your tank is due for a hydro, then have the hydro shop strip and repaint to your color of choice. I had an old steel 72 powder coated white and it's held up beautifully.

I know that it is "only a color". However, I have everything in black with combination of bright pink, which is also very well visible, and I am easy enough to recognize. the idea of having yellow ank is "killing me". Be it white, silver or black, I would not care. But this yellow...... :( :D

I know that it is "only a color". However, I have everything in black with combination of bright pink, which is also very well visible, and I am easy enough to recognize. the idea of having yellow ank is "killing me". Be it white, silver or black, I would not care. But this yellow...... :( :D

Based upon my experience looking for bright pink paint for my daughter's gear you might have difficulty finding a good-quality paint that would be considered "fluorescent." A more toned-down pink might be available. I recommend cleaning it first with paint thinner and then sanding it lightly with #400 until it is no longer shiny. This will help the paint adhere better. Personally I don't like black or very dark tanks because sooner or later they end up sitting in the sun for a while. I think silver might be a good choice but it might be difficult to get the paint very even-looking.

I dont want to scratch anything, as the tank is brand new. If scratching will be neccesary, I will more likely give it to some specialized shop. I just do not know what kidn of shop am I even looking for...

Do you know other divers who are about to purchase a tank? Maybe have them get the one in a color you desire, and trade them....

In your original post you mentioned "paint spray" so I thought you were doing it yourself. Based upon what I read recently from a trusted source you could have the tank "powder coated" without overheating the tank. Since it's a steel tank this is probably pretty safe. Aluminum tanks that have been painted and dried with intense heat have been known to explode when being filled. I suggest you find out at what temperatures it would be subjected to and then coming back here and finding out if it's OK. Or use a spray can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom