Palancar Caves. Hero 3+ Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool Video! I was hoping I could get some more info from you regarding your set up. I currently use a midland XTC on an Xshot pole and get pretty good results. I just got a GoPro 3+ black edition to replace the midland and am looking at the backscatter 3.1 set up.

1) which filter (s) were you using
2) have you shot anything to compare the regular wide mode vs. the superview mode underwater? I am trying to figure out what my best option will be for underwater video. I like the superview mode when playing with it on land but am curious if it creates too much edge distortion or makes everything look super tiny.

Thanks for any input!

RK05

Thanks RK05
You will love the 3+ Black. Its really hard to mess up a shot with it.

1) I am using the DIVE filter on the Backscatter 3.1. I also have the DEEP set up. On some shots it looks great and really brings out color especially around 70+ feet. But depending on the lighting situation some of my film looks over corrected with the DEEP so I usually stay with the DIVE almost all the time. I am curious about the SRP lens on a Backscatter frame and adapter. Check out El Pistoffo's setup on this site. It seems that the SRP really gives good results as well.

2) I have shot both wide and superview. My opinion is that Superview gives too much distortion at the edges. I have been using it with a hands free mount to make sure that I captured stuff that I wasn't really aiming at but the distortion really makes it hard to see detail. I would stick to wide. Check out my Devil's Throat video previously posted. The second to last scene was with Superview and the last scene is in Wide. You can really tell the difference:
https://vimeo.com/91281504

Thanks for the info! I checked out the video and you can really tell the difference, very good info to know. Looks like regular wide mode it is! I will check out the other setup the El Pistoffo is using as well.

thanks again and happy diving!
RK05

I have shot both wide and superview. My opinion is that Superview gives too much distortion at the edges. I have been using it with a hands free mount to make sure that I captured stuff that I wasn't really aiming at but the distortion really makes it hard to see detail. I would stick to wide. Check out my Devil's Throat video previously posted. The second to last scene was with Superview and the last scene is in Wide. You can really tell the difference:
https://vimeo.com/91281504

RKO5 I wholeheartedly agree with ScubaERDoc. I have self inflicted bruises from my own lesson...

I used my GoPro in green water once before my Hawaii trip and due to the poor viz I didn't notice the distortion. When I got back from Hawaii and watched my footage on the computer I was crestfallen and ticked off. I learned by the school of hard knocks. I think ScubaERDoc's being gentle when he says it makes it hard to see detail. Heck, the only detail I have in my video is in the center of my frame, the rest looks like it was on a good drunk! Your video pales to my mess. One shot with a diver has his ankle and calf elongated like a drop of water blown up a windshield.

Another piece of advice: I was not able to see my footage on my iphone because it cannot handle the 60fps footage, nor can it see it at 48. It can recognize it at 24 or 30fps. In the future I will use 30fps, that is good cinema quality HD. 60fps is good if you want to use the slow motion feature. My disadvantage to not enough practice is I live 300 miles from cold saltwater and the lakes are about 37 degrees right now. I will now continue on with my own self inflicted ass-kicking....
Cheers!

(Thankyou to this forum for teaching me I will eventually prevail!)

RKO5 I wholeheartedly agree with ScubaERDoc. I have self inflicted bruises from my own lesson...

Another piece of advice: I was not able to see my footage on my iphone because it cannot handle the 60fps footage, nor can it see it at 48. It can recognize it at 24 or 30fps. In the future I will use 30fps, that is good cinema quality HD.

Hi Deb! You can leave your file at 60fps on your computer. All you have to do is open the file on Quicktime, select export from the drop down menu and export to iTunes. The files will be automatically compressed to something your iPhone can handle

Hi Deb! You can leave your file at 60fps on your computer. All you have to do is open the file on Quicktime, select export from the drop down menu and export to iTunes. The files will be automatically compressed to something your iPhone can handle

Hi ScubaERDoc, I have the iphone app and was trying to upload the unedited footage from my GoPro so I could review it on a slightly larger scale (but that's only about 300% going from the LCD backpac on a still--very small scale but I would've caught the mistake) to view my technique and work out the wide/super wide issue. I did 8 dives in 4 days with 6 hours bottom time so I had lots of video footage, but it was all spoiled by the fuzziness. I didn't have a laptop computer with me to view them on. :-( Your tip will allow me to successfully transfer the unedited video to my iphone, but I can't do it until I return home as I don't own a laptop, just a dinosaur computer. I'm learning so much....10,000 thankyou's for the tip!!

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not sure why you can't see the footage if you have the iPhone GoPro app. You don't actually upload the footage onto your phone, instead you connect wirelessly and you should be able to view on the iPhone app your footage directly streaming from your GoPro while connected. I have been able to do this even with 60 fps footage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom