Palau Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue(liveaboard) is pretty economical as compare with others.
The cabin at c-deck is small but I was there for diving so what the hack!
Dived with Sam many yrs ago and thank you very much...no more.
12 divers + 2dm + 45 tanks(3 dives a day), the speed boat was fast but everyone was wet because of the splash. Didn't make it to Pelileu because of rough sea. Too many divers around Blue Corner and Blue Hole. If your dive boat arrive late at Blue Corner then all the good places would be occupied. All you could see would be other divers back side even using your reef hook and inflating your bc. I once counted at least 16 boats around the area when I surfaced.

The smell from the dump is very noticeable --I would recommend staying at the West Plaza Desekel near the center of Koror town instead. You'll be in closer walking distance to the eateries, and the Bank of Hawaii ATM is right there around the corner.

Can't go wrong with either Fish n' Fins or SamsTours for dive operations, although SamsTours has the better shorter, more convenient walking distance range to your lodging at West Plaza Malakal, Sea Passion or Palau Royal Resort Hotels.

I"ve canned the Landmark due to cost (I was reading the prices for 4 day trips) and possible smell, and have read a lot of reviews on trip advisor, and now I am leaning heavily for the West Plaza Malakal. I think it will cover my needs well, and if I get bored with the restaurants in area take a taxi to downtown.

In reference to a liveaboard, I wish I could splurge( maybee I'll do a cost per dive comparison), avoid the crowds, and long possibly bumpy rides. But hey this is Palau and I think the diving will be worth the rides. I'm hoping in Mid-Nov it won't be as busy as I've heard it can be.

If you are still looking around at dive operations, take a look at Neco Marine. I've heard good things and will probably try them on my next trip. They're literally across the street from Sea Passion, but I don't recall seeing West Plaza Malakal.

Also, I know you think people are joking, but I also recommend seriously adding up the dive package, lodging, food and miscellaneous expenses like the surcharge to go diving off Peleliu, and then compare to the price of a liveaboard. Let's say $4500-5000 for 10 days on one of the Ocean Hunters. (I don't know about the Big Blue mentioned above.) After I did my seven days of diving off Palau and Peleliu, I added it up and I only saved about $500 compared to a liveaboard, which is not much considering I was doing 2-3 dives per day less. You can find $40 hotel rooms with no hot running water if you really want, but you start cutting into the enjoyment of the stay at that point, imo.

I also recommend the Sea Passion and Sam's tours. They are a short walk from each other, but Sam's will also send a boat over to the Sea Passion dock.

The next time we go to Palau I'd like to do it on a liveaboard, you'll get many more dives in while there. I agree with the above poster, if you factor all of the costs and the fact that you'll dive more....a liveaboard seems like a pretty good deal.

Either way....you're going to palau. Have a blast.

-Mitch

I swore I wouldnt do Palau again unless on a liveaboard.............sea passion is very nice, and right around the corner from Sams...........short walk.........

Personally, I too believe a liveaboard is better if you can stretch the budget and want to do more than 2-3 dives a day and don't mind living on a liveaboard (small cabin, close quarters with other passengers, limited meal and beverage choices). I loved the Palau Aggressor because I brought my own buddy, a good thing since the majority of the other passengers were quite unfriendly at times, the first and only time I've experienced that situation out of 11 liveaboard trips. Also, the food was excellent, they had three varieties of Red Rooster (local microbrew) on tap, the crew was great, the boat immaculate, and we had some amazing diving. Camera facilities are also much more convenient on a liveaboard.

However, if I were faced with paying a single supplement, with the risk of unfriendly fellow passengers, I might choose the hotel/day boat option instead because even if I didn't like the people diving with me on the boat, I could always find some social life at the hotel bar or head to Kramers where I've had a great time.

I recommend either Sam's & Sea Passion, and Neco Marine & Sea Passion. I've done both packages, and both dive ops were top notch. My next trip will be Neco & Sea Passion because the dive shop is right across the street from SP, slightly more convienient.

I've been hearing some complaints about Neco lately regarding over-controlling dive guides/procedures. Apparently they want to end the dives as a group so if you have someone on your boat with poor gas consumption it could make for a bad/non cost effective time. May want to email the operators regarding what to expect with that and also in regard to being there solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom