Palau for new-ish divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dream trip has always been Palau. My SO and I have been discussing maybe taking next year off from Caribbean diving and saving up for a Palau trip in 2013. By the time we go we'll have maybe 50-70ish dives which include NO drift dives. We could always wait a few more years but we're both in our late 20's and plan on having kids in the next few years and who knows what we'll be able to swing then. I kinda feel like it's either now or 15 years from now :shakehead:

So would we be able to fully enjoy Palau even though we're still a little bit green? We're both AOW certified and doing our Nitrox certs tonight.

I'm going in June and I have 50 dives. The 50 dives I did do were considered advanced dives though, most wall diving, drift diving in the cayman islands and roatan. Drift is no different than normal diving, if your bouyancy is kewl then you just kick back and go with the current, its easy.

Sams tours charged 95.00 for a private dive guide. I am hiring one for 2 days so I dont slow down the others on the boat. I do not like to dive deep anymore, so i will be hovering above. I think alot of new divers act like they are experienced, and then when they hit the water they try and follow the experienced divers and then run into issues. just be honest to everyone about your experience and how you want to dive. I tell everyone that I will be staying shallow, no one cares.

The "fully" in "fully enjoy" is an issue. I think you might find it easier to think about it in terms of skills rather than number of dives.

Buoyancy, trim and situational awareness: I couldn't believe the number of divers I saw in Palau who were overweighted and seemed to be unable to not kick every coral they got within five feet of, and in some cases just stood on the corals. If they loved diving in Palau so much, you would think they would try not to kill every coral head. It's a real shame that some divers will fly all the way out to a premiere diving spot like Palau and have no idea how to get into the water without destroying something. If you have a camera, it'd be worth getting your buoyancy to a level where you can approach a coral, examine it for any pieces that are already dead, pinch the already damaged coral with your thumb and index finger to stabilize yourself and use your other hand for the camera.

Buoyancy will a major skill for both drift and wall dives - drift to avoid bouncing off the coral outcroppings as you're zooming along a shallow reef and wall so you don't end up drifting down unintentionally. I would also add depth awareness - a diver on one the dives got so excited by a spotted eagle ray going below us that she dove down and violated her Nitrox bottom limit.

Air consumption: Good air efficiency will do two things for you - it will increase the safety margin in your tank if the rest of your group is less efficient and allow you to extend dives if you're with a group of comparable efficiency. As an example, the craziest/most foolish dive I've done in my life was diving right down on Peleliu Corner and creeping along the leeward edge of the corner from the current to get out to the tip of the corner. The dive guide insisted that we had to be back to the "jump off" point by 1200 psi because there was a possibility that the downcurrent would be strong enough to drag us down to 150 fsw while simultaneously whipping exhaust bubbles around your head, blinding you. In a less extreme case, when diving Siaes Corner from the "experienced diver" boat, we ran into a dozen grey reef sharks harassing a school of feed fish along the wall. We all just stopped whatever depth we were along the wall at first but, as the current picked up and we breathed our air down, we had to hook in farther and farther up the wall, until my final hook in point was at 24 fsw. (Gotta love downloadable dive profiles.) My profile for this dive 54 minutes, max depth 98 feet, ave depth 48 feet, SAC rate 0.539 cu ft/min, resulting in my ending surface PSI being 410. (This is lower than I like even coming shallow at the end of the dive, but I got a bit carried away with the sharks putting on a show.) One woman who was experienced, but older and obviously overweight, ended up on the guide's octo during the ascent. So the question I think you should ask yourself is if you think that on a dive like this you and your SO would (1) be fine, (2) have to be rescued by the guide at the end, or (3) not even be on the dive because the dive operation decided that you aren't ready for a wall drift with the possibility of quickly strengthening currents and has put you on the "new divers" boat that is going to places that are more predictable. Proper weighting has a lot to do with air consumption, but so does general comfort level in the water.

I also think that it'd be worth going over "what if" scenarios that are appropriate for Palau, and particularly the corners that are exposed to ocean currents, with your SO. What if you're hooked into a corner and the current whips your mask off your head when you look to the side? What if you're hooked in and the current surges are depressing the purge button on your regulator, causing free flow? What if you get caught in a strong downcurrent and end up 30, 50 or 80 feet deeper than the top of the corner, frantically kicking and maybe inflating your BC to get back up? What if the boat driver doesn't see the guide's SMB and misses the pickup as you drift out into open ocean? These are probably one in a thousand chance events, and even the most fearsome sites have days when they're absolutely mild and you wonder what the big deal is, but you'll be a better and more confident diver if you think through your options for edged tool (to cut a hook line in a hurry), spare mask in a pocket, mirror/light/whistle/dye bag for surface signaling, etc and practice skills like gas management, carrying out tasks underwater with your mask off or shooting an SMB to the surface with a reel. Just as importantly, you'll have a better sense of what's an acceptable level of risk to you on a dive and hopefully have come to the conclusion that you would rather refuse, or end, a dive than continue it hoping that everything is going to happen exactly as you wish, even if you're flown all the way to Palau to make it.

That said, Palau is amazing even if you don't go to sites that don't have the risk of ripping currents. You will likely be boring your kids with stories about stupendous diving on Palau until they've grown enough to be abandoned, when you can come back and get new stories. :wink:

Last edited:
I tell everyone that I will be staying shallow, no one cares.

Staying shallow will work with most dives on Palau but not the ones where you are required to hook in. The dive literature says that the hooks are for "comfort". The truth is that the hooks are the only sure way to stay in place when the current wants to rip you off a handhold and also has the benefit that dive operations can pack divers side by side, rather than having to rely on natural handholds. At the dive at Siaes Corner I describe above, it would have been possible to go shallower and away from the wall to stop fighting the current, though you would have lost sight of the sharks. At Blue Corner and Peleliu Corner, there is nowhere to go in a strong current. You're either hooked in at the depth of the corner with everyone else or you're finning frantically trying to stay in place and burning through your air.

I was there last April and did all of my dives with "Fish and Fins"! ABSOLUTELY loved it.

Enjoy

We were there in March with a group of 10. One diver had only 40 dives. She handled her buoyancy great and her air consumption was better than mine and I have over 1000 dives.

It's not how many dives you have, but how good you are.

What bbarada said. Number of dives is separate from whether you are reasonably skilled and capable. There are plenty of experienced bad divers.

Your best assets are awareness of your surroundings (are you getting into a problem area so you can avoid it before it happens), proper weighting, diligence in performing your skills and watching gauges, and, very importantly, your physical fitness.

Palau isn't one long set of mask ripping current dives. It's more a mixture of some drift dives, some coral garden dives and some usually mellow wall dives where you just drift along a wall looking at everything. Actually, drift diving turns out to be some of the easiest diving you can do, unless you don't want to go where the current is going. That's because you aren't even kicking yet you are moving. For most trips, there is only a handful of "hook in" dives. Drift dives are just drop in, and let the current take you along while you orient your body to direct yourself. Turn into the current and kick to slow, kick to one side or the other to move.

Proper weighting is essential. Even a few pounds can make the difference between fiddling with the inflator, using air, the whole dive and moving effortlessly around. I always set my weighting using the "float at the surface at eye level on a normal breath" at the end of the first dive. Even just a few inches difference in how close you are to eye level can make a big diff in the weight you are carrying.

Physical fitness is very important because it's the only way you can kick into the current for long, if you have to. The better your fitness, the better your air consumption. Get ready with reasonable endurance. and you're fine.

As a dive guide,I worked Koror,Palau for six months at one of the top three dive shops. Did an amazing 93 days straight,3 to 4 dives a day. My opinion is it's the best place in the world to dive, so do not wait. The dive guides are great and will advise you on your ability after your check out dive. Be honest on your dive questionaires,listen carefully to the dive briefs,ask questions and always be aware of your NDL & gas consumption. Hook in,hang on and smile!!!

"Living life without a hard bottom"
Kt

Drift dives and dives with current I consider totally different. Drift dives have current, but when it's all good, it's all good. Know what I mean? No?. LOL. I mean when the drift is good, you're just drifting along like you're in your lazy boy, watch the undersea world slowly move on by. Current on the other hand to me is when you've got current. You have to fight it or work against it, think ahead, dive down low to avoid it ... etc...

My dream trip has always been Palau. My SO and I have been discussing maybe taking next year off from Caribbean diving and saving up for a Palau trip in 2013. By the time we go we'll have maybe 50-70ish dives which include NO drift dives. We could always wait a few more years but we're both in our late 20's and plan on having kids in the next few years and who knows what we'll be able to swing then. I kinda feel like it's either now or 15 years from now :shakehead:

So would we be able to fully enjoy Palau even though we're still a little bit green? We're both AOW certified and doing our Nitrox certs tonight.

With 50-70 dives you should have learned something by now if you were paying attention. The memories of Palau are going to far out weigh any slight improvements you could have made before going, especially if you don't end up going. Life has a funny way of rewarding those that just do it and those that spend all their time planning on doing it.

I say go for it and make the most of it based on your current skill set. With 50-70 dives you should have all you need to have a great time there.

Palau was my first dive(s) after getting OW certified, and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

A few things to keep in mind, in no particular order:
1 - Let the shop and guide know you're a noobish diver. They (probably?) aren't going to take (a group of) less experienced divers to a site when it has a ripping current.
2 - Know your own limits and comfort level. At the time, I didn't feel comfortable going in to wrecks, so I just stayed on the outside of them, following the bubbles (which seeped out of the wreck) of those who went in. There's still plenty to see without going in. A few others in my group/boat tended to hang above/around the wrecks too (vs. going in). Never felt pressured to do something I didn't want to do.
3 - Read (or at least skim - it's pretty long) the sticky thread regarding reef hooks at the top of this forum, and the thread linked within regarding the related accident. That put a good amount of fear and respect in me to repeatedly go over "what if" situations before my trip. As such, I also bought a dive knife and a quick release loop to attach the reef hook to.
4 - Would you get "more" out of the trip if you were more experienced (and presumably more skilled)? Sure. If you're usually the first one back on the boat (from going through your air), and/or are always fiddling with your buoyancy/mask/etc, you may want to get those under more control first, as you'll miss seeing the amazingly awesome ___ everybody else saw. Do you need a thousand dives under your belt and yoga master breathing abilities to have a great time? Nope. Talking to one of my guides, he said they see a lot of visitors boasting how they have a gazillion dives, but end up bouncing all over the place and hoovering through their air once they're in the water.
5 - You may get spoiled for subsequent dives after diving Palau.

Back
Top Bottom