Palau -it's over??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NowTeelus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

yesterday, in a german diving board someone shared his latest Palau experience.

He said:

- All Jelly Fishs in the Jelly Fish lake died due to El Nino.
- All the Big Stuff leave
- Countless chinese tourists wreck the reefs

Can anyone confirm or refute this statements? Thought about visiting Palau in March 2017.

I've heard the El Niño-induced drought seriously impacted the level in Jellyfish Lake. It is possible the warm temperatures drove some of the big stuff to deeper depths. I won't be heading back there until next spring so I have no first hand knowledge at this time.

El Niño and The Blobs decimated our giant kelp forests here in SoCal, but they are making a comeback now that temperatures have returned to a more normal state. These are cycles that come and go.

Having just returned, I can verify all of the above is correct. We were advised by our DM that Jellyfish Lake wasn't worth it. AFA all the "big stuff" it's the wrong time of year for the Mantas. Blue Corner and the other corners we dove still held lots of barracuda, jacks, and of course sharks. We saw a fair amount of the Napoleon Wrasse and large grouper in the channels. Our boat included a group of chinese divers - one pair was skilled, the other two pairs not so much - we witnessed the DM inflating BCs in attempt to keep the fins off the reef a few times. Hopefully education will help but it doesn't appear the certifying agencies are doing much training before issuing C cards but I can attest the DMs are actively working to protect their reefs

I'd like to share some thoughts on the original post. Take it for what it's worth and they are just my personal observations. I've no 'data' or research experience. I just live and work in and on the water.

Regarding Jellyfish Lake. Yes, it is not what is used to be. I believe things are a bit more complicated then just blaming an El Niño oscillation. Without a doubt the load impact of tourism has risen dramatically over the years. I'm not saying this is bad on its face value, but, management and on-site practices should be given consideration also. Does anyone remember going to Jellyfish Lake in past ENSO warm years before there was even a fee or Ranger Station? I do and those times don't reflect what I've seen in recent history. I'd be curious to hear what others think from daily experience over many years.

Go to JFL anytime between 10 and 3 pm and just hang out a bit to observe. I think you'll notice two things - a large head count and heaps of amatuer finning or general thrashing about within the jellyfish clusters. There are DMs and guides who are very good about educating clients about not egg-beating the jellyfish......and those that do not. Also, some try, but they just can't control a large crowd of truly amatuer swimmers.

As jellyfish numbers declined, on appearance at least, an education effort was made on keeping sunscreen and other aquatic hitch-hikers out of the lake. I've no idea on if sunscreen truly effects the lake water quality, but the ridiculous little tub hundreds of people step in momentarily seems pointless.

Another rumor, though I've not witnessed it firsthand, is people taking the jellyfish out in ziplock bags. I have chatted with hotel staff that said their electric kettles were getting ruined from tourists cooking jellyfish in them. In the end they just got rid of the kettles. Again, I have not been in the rooms and seen this personally, but I didn't have any suspicions they were just making things up.

Recently privately owned dive shops took it upon themselves to stop taking clients to JFL in a self mandated conservation effort. Koror State itself did not follow suit, let alone lead by example. While you're taking that time to hang out at JFL (over half a day would be good) count the heads and times that by $100usd. JFL permits are a cash cow for Koror State. Do your own research and see where that money ultimately ends up and what real world expenditures are made. Beyond a press release.

From my own experience I've seen a drop in overall fish population throughout the entire lagoon. Same goes for over the reef. I don't think this is completely attributed to the shear number of divers in the water, directly, but, there are peripheral effects (and I'm not even touching on over the horizon illegal fishing).

There has been, for quite some time, visitor demand for ocean resources. Food, trinkets and sort of an 'experience'. Locals have been fulfilling that demand. Poaching has been rampant. Enforcement has been luke warm far too often. Convictions that set an example? Don't get me started. What happens on the ground/in the water is too often at odds with what is put out for public consumption in various forms of media.

Beyond the tourist dinner plate, Napollean Wrasse, fruitbat and pigeon are commonly seen in local custom or at home just because someone wants it. So be it, but don't love to hate the Chinese solely. Matter of fact, spend anytime in the Rock Islands, outer fringing reef areas or more southern islands and count the Chinese, Filipno or Bangledeshi fishermen. With the exception of the one sardine boat by the Iro wreck I'll bet that number is near zero. God forbid a Filipno even drop a line in the water anywhere. They'll get schooled right quick on who owns everything.

Years ago, at dusk, many, many bats would gracefully flap their way north over Koror nightly. Not anymore. Last I heard fruit bat soup was at $50. Mainly a photo op. Somebody is filling that demand.

Take a few days and snorkel the inner lagoon just about anywhere. You'll see no shortage of empty clam shells of all sizes. Not long ago there was a pic floating around on social media on a giant clam that has been broken open on a local dive boat. Amazingly someone posted it. Shame on the tourists, but triple shame on the guide, DM and owner of that company. Another demand filled.

Skip a dive sometime and watch who is fishing at the dive sites. I see it daily, in closed areas. I've seen guides and drivers casting right on the heads of divers....same guys, day after day in broad daylight.

Blue Corner, New Drop and Big Drop are sites you can go to anytime between 9-5 and watch a parallel show. Inexperienced divers abound. Non professional DMs lead the way. You'll see divers going head over ass, literally, in current. You'll see divers climbing an underwater Mt. Everest clawing against the current to get back into position. You'll see DMs either blissfully unaware or, again literally, more concerned with showing off. Don't get me wrong, most of the guides are superb, but some companies operate at a shockingly low level of competence. Truly, the Asian market seems to tolerate substandard diving companies.

In the last two years I began to hear something that was truly worrying - very experienced and worldly divers expressing the realization Palau didn't live up to the hype. Newbie divers are always wowed, and thank goodness there are a lot of them, but it was personally unnerving to hear first hand clients saying what I've quietly thought. And as all of us know in the dive business, you need to hype and sell your location....often to the point of being a bit 'delusional' to keep sales flowing.

I would like to point out more laws and regulations to address issues should be considered suspect. If divers/clients can find long time industry insiders that will speak freely, I'd suggest they listen and pass on that knowledge. There's a small, key handful of people with long term vision and goals that can make Palau not only sustain and grow tourism numbers, but reverse the trend of where it is headed on impact. For years administrations have touted 'high end/low impact tourism' yet in practice done the opposite. Bureaucracies have grown along with fees and taxes to support them. Lots of finger pointing. As they say - follow the money. For any motivated ethical travelers I'd suggest researching what their green fee, exit tax and dive permit monies really achieve. The information isn't hard to find.

So, in the end, I think what drives positive change anywhere is the consumer. Give your cash to private companies that share and act on your values. Question wether your cash given to official channels really accomplishes something or just makes the giver and receiver feel warm and fuzzy in a shared neurosis of sorts.

Palau is still a great place to dive. For now.

hi, can anyone advise to me whether end September is good time for diving in Palau?my bf and I planning dive there on 23-25.09.2016. But notice September is raining season. thanks.

Palau is definitely a great place to dive!!! Our guests have been seen lately whale sharks and hammerhead sharks!

Sam726, the weather in Palau is very unpredictable – many times we had weeks of wonderful weather during the rainy season and weeks of rain during the dry season.

First, thanks a lot @ Belaudiver for his imporant input. It's really sad how many tourists wreck the last beautiful places on this planet.

@ sam726: I visited Palau last september. The first days were pretty rainy, but then it got better.
There's some chance that you're limited to a couple of diving spots due to bad weather or heavy sea. Then, you will see pretty often
the German Channel, Big Drop-off or maybe the Ulong (a great area, anyway), but not the Blue Corner, Siaes Corner or other spots.
That's what I experienced when I visited Palau.

PS (and to complete my answer):

"WD" and some websites claim that there's no "right" season anymore or that you can have bad weather even during the dry season.

In my opinion, this is only partly correct and you have to keep in mind that the tourist industry is interested in tourists visiting Palau all year round.
When I send Emails to some companies prior my holliday, the majority of them respond to me that visiting Palau for Diving would be great regardless of the season.
But when I arrived, some guides told me on the quiet, hat this claim would be at least partly wrong: The best time seems to be from (mid or late) October to March.

So, I think it's less the question if you can have a good trip as more the question to what time of the year the chance is higher.

Back
Top Bottom