Palau Land Based. Recommendations on dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
I am attempting to put a dive trip together in October. I tried the liveaboards and one is full, the other is not going out that week. Therefore, I am going to reserve space at PPR (I am looking for discount rates) and have seen ads for NECO, Samstours, and Splash. Prices seem pretty close for all three, so I would appreciate reviews. Thanks in advance

dnhill

Check out -- http://www.fishnfins.com/Hotel-Dive-Packages.html

Samstours and Neco are very good dive-ops. I would recommend Fish n' Fins over Splash however. Even though Splash is on the grounds of PPR and would be more convenient, they cater a lot to the Japanese Divers; I had more fun and could relate better with the European & American Clientele diving with Fish n' Fins. . .

Kev.

Just contact Sams directly, they can put a hotel package together for you than you booking direct with hotel.

After having to go all that way to get there, it would be worth changing your date to match an available liveaboard. You will have a fantastic experience.

That said, it depends on your purpose. If you're going to dive only, then liveaboard is the only way to go. You'll get a lot more dives. Dive sites are literally five minutes away from the boat. Every site. It's MUCH cooler on the boat anchored in the channels. You'll get a days worth of dives at Peleliu which is the exciting part of the trip.

If you're visiting the place and shopping and enjoying the place with diving thrown in, then you're fine.

dnhill:
I am attempting to put a dive trip together in October. I tried the liveaboards and one is full, the other is not going out that week. Therefore, I am going to reserve space at PPR (I am looking for discount rates) and have seen ads for NECO, Samstours, and Splash. Prices seem pretty close for all three, so I would appreciate reviews. Thanks in advance

dnhill

Shasta man,

I really would like to do one of the liveaboards, but I have only one week that I can go this year. I could get on just about any other week. However, I can't complain much if I really get to go at all. I am now looking at packages that offer diving with either Sams or NECO. I can't really tell from my research so far if there is a better choice.

dnhill

dnhill:
Shasta man,

I really would like to do one of the liveaboards, but I have only one week that I can go this year. I could get on just about any other week. However, I can't complain much if I really get to go at all. I am now looking at packages that offer diving with either Sams or NECO. I can't really tell from my research so far if there is a better choice.

dnhill

Hi, dnhill! What a choice to have to make! I'm jealous!

You might just send them each an email and judge them by their response. I have arranged trips through Sams, and know some of the staff, they are great, and they returned my emails the same day. NECO maybe as well, dunno, haven't worked with them.

I've been to both of their operations - NECO seems to have recently upgraded - their facilities are much newer and, dunno, they seem fancier. Sams felt more comfortable and homey to me because they have sort of an interior courtyard with picnic tables in it for you to hang at until your boat leaves, and although it isn't as new and pristine, it's clean and very functional, and feels lived in and well loved. They have a fun little restaurant/bar at the dock in case you're hungry at the end of the day. They also offer kayaking in the rock islands (good for your last day before flying - the flight out of Palau leaves at midnight so you;re hosed for diving that last day). The kayaking is fantastic. Even after I became certified, and returned to Palau to dive on the Aggressor, I made sure to arrange a kayaking day with Sam's. The rock islands in a kayak are amazingly peaceful and stunningly beautiful, and you won't get to enjoy them too much in a speed boat on the way to the dive sites (about an hour each way) and back. So I highly recommend a day of kayaking if you have time. (It's really easy kayaking - even I could do it! :wink: )

The previous poster was right, Splash caters largely to Japanese. Sams to
Americans and Europeans, and Neco is the same I believe - there were that sort of people in there when I visited (tryin to be pc here, but they looked American and European to me.)

One other point - PPR is really nice, and the only hotel with a beach, but it's a trek (in traffic - they have measurable traffic on their one street) from the dive ops. PPR is located on a different island from most of the main town. There are a couple of other hotels out there too - Carolines, and Sunshine (?). One of the more central Hotel Desekel (it's a chain) locations might require less time riding in minibusses, albeit sans character and sans beach. The HD I stayed at was clean and functional but definitely not "plush". It was about like a Best Western maybe.

Also, all the restaurants are in town. If you stay at PPR, you're pretty much gonna have to eat there or pay for taxis.

Good luck and enjoy the diving!

Great choice to have to make. I also got to go to Palau two years ago. Teh diving is everything you have heard about it.

I dove with Sams two years ago and they did a great job. They hadd pick up service for mthe Sunrise hotel which was cheaper than the PPR. Sams dive guides were professional and safety conscious, When I accidentally left a dive kniife in the rinse tank the first night and it disappeared overnight they replaced it at no charge. First Class service and

Taxgeek:
<snip>
They also offer kayaking in the rock islands (good for your last day before flying - the flight out of Palau leaves at midnight so you;re hosed for diving that last day). The kayaking is fantastic. Even after I became certified, and returned to Palau to dive on the Aggressor, I made sure to arrange a kayaking day with Sam's. The rock islands in a kayak are amazingly peaceful and stunningly beautiful, and you won't get to enjoy them too much in a speed boat on the way to the dive sites (about an hour each way) and back. So I highly recommend a day of kayaking if you have time. (It's really easy kayaking - even I could do it! :wink: )

I did the Rock Island kayak trip my last day in palau with Sam's. It was a blast! It was my first time in a kayak, but the Rock Islands are so sheltered that it was really easy. Comfortable, too - the kayaks have backboards so it is very relaxing. There was never more than an hour of kayaking between snorkels, lunch, ... I highly recommend it.

I'd recommend the kayaking too. I kayak fairly often and it's definitely the most interesting place I've paddled.

Thanks for all of the good advice. I have booked the trip using Continental, PPR, and NECO. Now I must go look under the sofa cushions for change. Where did the kids piggy bank go? How much is left on the credit card? Darlin' can I borrow that nice diamond bracelet for a few weeks? I am sure that I will be able to get it back. Do the kids really need college?

dnhill

Back
Top Bottom