Palau liveaboard, Best Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekraz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking of going to Palau, December of 2012. Looked at liveaboards and it seems as the choices are Hunter III-Agressor-Big Blue. Not really much to see on the websites for Big Blue or Hunter. There was a good write up about the Hunter in a recent dive magazine but not sure if it was a honest review or not. The Agressor, strictly by the website information looks to be the better choice, ship wise. The Big Blue has over 30 divers so not sure how crowded that is, especially when it comes to the dives. Looking for anyone who has recently been on any Palau liveaboards to give their opinion on the best ship to go on. We're experience divers, looking for clean, nice facilities, with a good camera setup. Cost around 2.5k to 3k pp seems to be the range but would pay more if the ship is worth it. Have been on the Kona agressor and Aqua cat Bahamas which were both OK. The coco's agressor (a few months ago) was falling apart,old and the food was basically home cooking at best but the diving was great. Appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

If you hate diving in crowds, then none of the 3 boats are suitable. On my recent trip to Palau, I saw the OH3 seemingly parked at a mooring point for days on end while divers were ferried to the dive sites on a speedboat.

You may want to ask the operators how the dives are conducted - all in one huge group or split up? How many divers per dive guide?

As for my group of 4, we chose an alternative liveaboard - the Eclipse. Very simple, no frills (though beer and soft drinks are included in the price), but the 4 of us, together with our fantastic guide Charlie, only ever encountered other divers on 2 out of 19 dives. And we had jellyfish lake all to ourselves. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Peter Hughes has a boat there as well. A group of 4 of us are going the week of nov. 27th. There is a special for that week. It is as cheap as when we went in 2006. the boat PH uses used to be the Fiji aggressor. Which we went on in 2008. It has since been refit and has gotten good reviews. We are stoked to go again.

Back in 2006 my wife and I did the big blue. It is an older ship. And very typical philipino food. Not bad. But sometimes you just want a burger. Ya know. When we went we only had 8 divers so it wasn't crowded. But if there was more they would have separate skiff to divide the group. Wasn't the best liveaboard which is why I am going with the Peter Hughes boat.

I went on the Ocean Hunter I and loved it. It only takes 6 people, so it could be bliss with the right group or not-bliss with the wrong group.

If your primary focus is on the highest quality diving for your taste then the Eclipse is the way to go. It's a sailboat (Cal-48) officially can sleep 6, more than 4 would be unpleasant. Just for 2 is fantastic. Charlie is a good DM, very into photography. If you want the full above board amenities take one of the motor boat live aboard options. One note of caution, the Eclipse won't sail anywhere, they prefer to motor everywhere which is a bit of a letdown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom