Palau: Liveaboard decisions? Compared to shore-based? Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The Wife looked at the Sea Passions and shot it down, so that's out. She want's a *nice* hotel-- or at least a great view and something romantic."

This is MUCH nicer than Palau Plantaion ( no beach, view,) I would do Sea Passions or PRR if you can't do PPR. I agree with contacting an agent who might have some specials. We used World of Diving for all our arrangements and they were great.

"The Wife looked at the Sea Passions and shot it down, so that's out. She want's a *nice* hotel-- or at least a great view and something romantic."

This is MUCH nicer than Palau Plantaion ( no beach, view,) I would do Sea Passions or PRR if you can't do PPR. I agree with contacting an agent who might have some specials. We used World of Diving for all our arrangements and they were great.
Yes. . . World of Diving usually has good deals on Dive Trip packages as well --contact Ryan Dandy for Palau/Truk itineraries at: World of Diving & Adventure Vacations - Scuba Diving, Island Vacations, Diving Packages, Live-Aboards, Adventure Travel

Your mileage (or rather your wife's) may vary from mine, but I liked being in the middle of town when I dove with PDA. Gave me more options for meals and stores within easy walking distance. I stayed at the Palau Paradise Hotel which probably isn't your wife's cup of tea since the view is of the main drag and the beaches are not close by.

After talking to my wife (I'm in training in Houston, she's in school in Denver), and sleeping on it, I think we both are coming to the conclusion that *in this particular situation*, shore-based works better for us in Palau. If it was just me, the answer might have been different, but my wife wants to go Kayaking, have a spa day, etc.

Compromise being the key to a happy marriage, I think we're going to go with PDA-- it's just a matter now of figuring out where to stay.

Thanks to all-- the discussion helped get things clearer in my mind.

R.

Take a look at this old map of Koror and Malakal with a fair list of the major hotels, restaurants etc. and their relative locations.

Sea Passion Hotel is not listed, but it is where the causeway bridge just enters Malakal Island proper at the water's edge. Also within nearby walking distance but not listed: Palau Royal Resort; Neco Marine; Sams Tours Dive-ops & Kayaking; Palau Dive Adventures (used to have their office and boat docking slips at Sea Passion Hotel 2013 --Office now at downtown Palasia Hotel); Tropic Dancer & Aggressor dock & embarkation; Drop-Off Bar & Grill; Bottom Time Bar & Grill; and Kramers.

It's a long 40 minute walk across the causeways into Main Street downtown Koror (and vice versa from Koror to Malakal which is why I recommend lodging on Malakal), often in stifling heat & humidity or an afternoon tropical rain/cloudburst. Use the evening Blue Bird Shuttle Bus for $7 a week to get a ride into downtown Koror for after diving shopping & dining, or up to Palau Pacific Resort across the causeway up to Ngerkebesang Island. (Note the extreme distance that PPR is away from downtown Koror, or the Dive-ops on Malakal.). Fish n' Fins Dive-ops and the Ocean Hunter Liveaboards are in vicinity at reference "24" --near the Palau Int'l Coral Reef Center. It's a nasty dusty walk along that road to "24" from Main Street, right past the landfill dump.

Hope this gives you a better idea of the distances involved, and the convenience of not having to rely waiting on Dive-Ops van/car day shuttle service stuck in traffic. (You can always rent a car as an option too).

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's Google maps as well ("M Dock Palau, Koror"):

Google Maps

We dived with PDA in November 2014 and couldn't have been happier. Best dive operator we've ever been with, and I started looking in this group because we're planning to go back and dive with them again later this year. I wouldn't dive with any other operator there; highly recommended. Very personalized service and it's really nice being with the same group of divers for the week

We stayed at PPR. It was the nicest resort, but also not up to Four Seasons standards. PDA picked us up on the dock every morning on the way out to dive, and several others on the boat with us were staying there as well. That's where we are going back to

I heard hotels in Koror are becoming harder to get at times because of large Chinese groups coming in.. If you are going to use PDA, talk to Chris (co-owner, located in So Cal, and all around super nice guy) and coordinate hotels with him. It will make your life much easier, and he can give you the run down on places to stay ranging from super economy to PPR

Okay fair enough . . .if you can boat pick up service at PPR with PDA straight to the dive sites with gear valet/locker service post-dive , then that would be the best arrangement for the non-diver/infrequent-diver wife. There's a nice spa there, largest private beach area out of all the resorts, good amenities and a nice snorkel/shallow scuba house reef.

The PPR Dinner Buffet is excellent, but at $35 a plate --it starts adding up fast. Take the evening bus shuttle from PPR into town for more (and less expensive) dinner variety.

PPR is a bit out of town, but we never had an issue. There are free shuttles and plenty of good, affordable, fun and interesting places to eat in town. The evening buffets at PPR are all really good too. After diving, PDA would drop us off at the PPR pier, we would take whatever we wanted with us, get washed up and then enjoyed cocktails on the beach. My wife did a couple of massages and seemed reasonably happy

Since we were there, PDA now has rain jackets in case it rains. Their boats are pretty fast, so the speed between dive sites can make it seem wetter if it's raining. Otherwise the boat is pretty dry, and each seat has separate wet and dry storage areas

I think I'm sold on Palau Dive Adventures-- however, the Palau Pacific Resort is simply too expensive and completely blows the budget. We'll be there for ten nights. That's a LOT of coin.

Maybe the Caroline? Realistically, I suspect I'll end up at the Palau Royal Resort-- but am still not sold on it. If I was solo or with a buddy, I'd have a lot more options. However, having my wife with me imposes several considerations that I wouldn't normally worry about.

How's *that* for a diplomatic statement? Heh-- I love her dearly, but she *does* like to stay in nice places.

R.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom