Palau: The return

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Palau trip report (2/16-2/25)

Arrival/Hotel: This was my second time to Palau (last there in 05) and I arrived in Korror at 10:00 PM from Guam. Since I had a prior week business trip in Taiwan my lag was nothing to speak of, so I was ready to go. I stayed at the West Plaza Malakal which met my needs very well. I was within walking distance to all of the essentials the dive boat, restaurants and convenience store. WPM is a reasonably priced hotel with good services. I was even able to tap into a local restaurants wireless!

Palau - above: A nice laid back island. They mostly cater to tourists from Asia and Europe. I have found this to be a very safe and relaxful place to go. The real beauty is in the rock islands as you can see below

Weather: Pictures tell the story, everyday was roughly the same. It was partially cloudy, 87 F during the day, 77 at night. The occasional cloud gave us a shower on a couple of mornings which is normal for this time of year. Coming from a cold week in Taiwan, I relished the warmth.

Palau - below: I chose to dive with Keith at Dive Palau (palaudive.com). Keith specializes in individualized attention using a small group approach. I can’t say enough about this guy. His gospel is long, slow dives getting back on the boat with ~300 left in our tanks. I was diving 3 Nitrox dives a day averaging 65-75 minutes per dive with an average depth of 65 ft per dive. Water temp was 82 and vis ranged from 50-80 feet. My day consisted of long boat rides (dive sites were 20-25 miles away) starting at 8:30 and ending roughly at 4. Since I love drop offs, reefs, caves, tunnels I was right at home with dives such as Blue Corner (heavy sigh), New Dropoff and Blue Holes. Large schools of sharks, barracuda and the occasional tuna were the norm. Dive depths ranged from 60 to 110 ft. In general, the diving was excellent and I could not ask for any more. The dive sites in Palau are the ones that keep you up at night left staring at the ceiling.

Food: Menu varied from local seafood to having Western food. My favorite restaurant was Kramers. The local fresh catch was either Wahoo, Yellowfin or Mahi Mahi which were awesome in Asian Seared Sashimi. Having spent the previous week in Taiwan, having a burger was also welcomed

Pros/Cons: Far too many pros to list. I loved the trip. I went diving with some terrific people from Norway, Japan and the U.S. As this was my second trip I was able to hone in on what to do/not to do. The only con to speak of was the huge dive coma that I am now experiencing since leaving the island.

A very special thank you to Scott (Travelnsj) as he was key in putting in touch with Keith. You can PM me if you require additional details. I'll have posted pics in a folder called Palau08

Dave glad it worked out well with Keith...six years ago when I thought this sport was too much work for 20 to 30 minute dives he taught me how to breath better and slow down and enjoy....This is my first year in 8 years I have not made the trip to Palau....Instead I decided to go to Layang Layang next month....It better be as good or better than Palau!

Dave glad it worked out well with Keith...six years ago when I thought this sport was too much work for 20 to 30 minute dives he taught me how to breath better and slow down and enjoy....This is my first year in 8 years I have not made the trip to Palau....Instead I decided to go to Layang Layang next month....It better be as good or better than Palau!

I :heart: Palau! Ever since my one and only trip to Palau in Feb 03, I've compared it to every place I've been, and so far nothing has come even close. I try to go to places where I've never been and generally do not like to return once I've been there.. Palau is the exception to the rule. I would return there in a heartbeat! :)

The one problem that I have with Palau is that it spoils you. Like you, I judge every place that I have been to. I find a way to enjoy everywhere I go but it comes down to my statement:

The dive sites in Palau are the ones that keep you up at night left staring at the ceiling.

I found myself doing this very thing on my last dive night. We were diving Blue Corner and it was a mirror on the surface. However, a full moon that week produced a torrent upwelling that started at 60-80 ft and would just throw you over the top of the reef if you didn't reef hook fast enough. (you are drifting up feet first) We did make it, the action was awesome, greys, dog tooth tuna, wahoo, fish tornados with trevallies etc....awesome, just awesome

The one problem that I have with Palau is that it spoils you. Like you, I judge every place that I have been to. I find a way to enjoy everywhere I go but it comes down to my statement:

The dive sites in Palau are the ones that keep you up at night left staring at the ceiling.

Palau has always been my Platinum standard to judge other locations by...It sounds like you have been spoiled....People who have not been there sometimes do not understand where you are coming from....Now we need to get you to Papua!

The one problem that I have with Palau is that it spoils you.

Palau was my SECOND open water dive. (My first was Koh Samui). Ever since Palau, I have always been bored diving in the Caribbean. Just doesn't do it for me. I hate my brother for spoiling me so early.

With that said, I am returning in July taking my wife. She has never been. I have to say, Palau is one of those places that sticks with you forever. In fact, it's my mental "happy place."

Palau was my SECOND open water dive. (My first was Koh Samui). Ever since Palau, I have always been bored diving in the Caribbean. Just doesn't do it for me. I hate my brother for spoiling me so early.

With that said, I am returning in July taking my wife. She has never been. I have to say, Palau is one of those places that sticks with you forever. In fact, it's my mental "happy place."

You do know in July the weather can get a bit dicey?

Palau trip report (2/16-2/25)

This was my second time to Palau (last there in 05)

Any comment on whether things on the reef (coral health, number of fish, number of divers, etc) are getting better or worse over time? Did you notice any differences between your two trips?

Palau has always been my Platinum standard to judge other locations by...It sounds like you have been spoiled....People who have not been there sometimes do not understand where you are coming from....Now we need to get you to Papua!

If Palau is a standard then you should try PNG-New Britain, or a liveaboard from PNG.
PNG is not exactly laid out like Palau as it is a big country with plenty of Islands. Also it is a less traveled area, such as New Britain that only receives about 500 visitors a year from the U.S. The reefs off PNG are stunning with a variety that is not rivaled by many if any area we've been. Since our trip to PNG, I feel somewhat the same as you do. I will say however that we have been to the Red Sea and on a liveaboard in northern Australia and these two areas do come closer to PNG diving than others. The Caribbean is not even in the ballpark in comparison. We do enjoy the Caribbean but there is nowhere near the variety of amount of coral, fish, or pelagics in comparison.
File0393.jpg

File0041.jpg
File0012.jpg

If Palau is a standard then you should try PNG-New Britain, or a liveaboard from PNG.

Have you been to Papua-Raja Ampat area? That is Platium....Palau is Gold.....After diving the Indo-Pacific region...I very seldom dive the Caribbean. I am going to try Little Cayman for the heck of it this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom