Palau trip report - June 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back this morning from 11 spectacular days in Palau.

1. Getting there: We flew United from San Francisco via Honolulu and Guam. The connections in Guam are absurdly tight, even if all flights are on time, which they never are. We were 30 minutes late out of Honolulu, making up 15 minutes in flight. That reduced our connect time to the Palau flight from 45 minutes to just a half hour. We ran to the connecting gate, to find them waiting for us. On the way back, it was even crazier. Our flight was 45 minutes late leaving Palau, so our 1 hour connection was reduced to only 15 minutes, and you still need to clear US immigration and go through TSA screening before continuing on to Honolulu. On landing in Guam, the crew asked all local passengers to remain seated so connecting passengers could disembark first. The ground staff then shuttled us to the shortest lines and made sure US immigration staff were aware of the connecting passengers. Needless to say, they held the Honolulu flight for us - but it was stressful. If there is a next time, I would most likely fly Delta via Narita.
  2. Staying there: We stayed at Palau Pacific Resort, which is hands down the nicest resort in Palau, but it is also the most expensive as well. Service is outstanding, and the food and accommodations were what you would expect from a major luxury resort. I was warned away from Palau Royal Resort, the other major property, as it caters primarily to Asian clientele, and many prior western reviewers indicated they felt marginalized. There are several small properties on Palau, and if I ever went back, I might give them a try. This was a bit of an intentional splurge due to the convergence of several birthdays and anniversaries.
  3. Diving there: We dove with Fish 'n Fins. They are one of the two big operations in Koror. They run a tight operation with excellent guides, divemasters and boats. They've got a great bar/cafe on site for relaxing after you get back. Boats were often full (12-14 divers) and two divemasters. Unfortunately, divers with widely ranging skill levels are often combined on the same boats, but more of that later. The dive sites are pretty spectacular, with frequent visits to the big pelagic sites of Blue Corner, Ulong Channel, German Channel and New Drop Off. We never had the opportunity to dive any of the Peliliu sites, as we were told there are extra fees involved (more gas to get there + additional dive permits). That said, the sites we did visit were plenty exciting, and we dove with gray reef and white tip sharks on most dives. Blue Holes and Siaes Tunnel sites provided dramatic backdrops.
  4. The Divers: This was really my one and only gripe - and it's a fairly major one. Palau is currently experiencing a boom in tourism from Asia (China, Taiwan, Korea & Japan). More and more of these new tourists are divers who arrive with the requisite certifications but, based on my own personal observations, questionable skills, and most alarmingly, little or no regard for the marine environment. While Fish 'n Fins caters more to western clients, they do see their fair share of Asian divers as well. We repeatedly witnessed divers with little or no buoyancy skills crashing into, or worse, standing on live coral. Octos and gauges dangling unsecured, getting caught in the coral. The staff treat this with resigned frustration. They try to enforce basic environmental safeguards, but ultimately acquiesce to the fact that these divers would simply take their business to the guy across the street who won't be as strict. Ultimately, the Palau government needs to take more forceful action to require stricter enforcement of the marine environment standards before the reefs are completely destroyed.

All in all, Palau was a spectacular experience. It's a must see for the pelagic life, spectacular walls, and great hard corals on the western outer reef. We learned to use reef hooks, which was a first. Not hard to learn, deploy or retrieve. As with the commentary above, a basic respect for the marine environment goes a long way. Hooking into rock and dead coral (of which there is plenty) is a great way to observe marine life in strong current without causing any damage.

Last edited:
  1. The Divers: This was really my one and only gripe - and it's a fairly major one. Palau is currently experiencing a boom in tourism from Asia (China, Taiwan, Korea & Japan). More and more of these new tourists are divers who arrive with the requisite certifications but, based on my own personal observations, questionable skills, and most alarmingly, little or no regard for the marine environment. While Fish 'n Fins caters more to western clients, they do see their fair share of Asian divers as well. We repeatedly witnessed divers with little or no buoyancy skills crashing into, or worse, standing on live coral. Octos and gauges dangling unsecured, getting caught in the coral. The staff treat this with resigned frustration. They try to enforce basic environmental safeguards, but ultimately acquiesce to the fact that these divers would simply take their business to the guy across the street who won't be as strict. Ultimately, the Palau government needs to take more forceful action to require stricter enforcement of the marine environment standards before the reefs are completely destroyed.

We see plenty of this from the haole divers as well. You know, the guys who have been diving for ten years, have a total of maybe 50 dives, have all the dive skills of a concrete block, and come out here once or twice a year to smash the coral all to hell and generally be a pain in the ass. This type of behavior is not the sole province of the asians.

We see plenty of this from the haole divers as well. You know, the guys who have been diving for ten years, have a total of maybe 50 dives, have all the dive skills of a concrete block, and come out here once or twice a year to smash the coral all to hell and generally be a pain in the ass. This type of behavior is not the sole province of the asians.

I have no doubt this is true. I've seen it from my own countrymen plenty of times. There's always the issue of buoyancy skills with any new or infrequent diver, regardless of origin. What I observed went well beyond the clumsy bump or careless fin kick from the novice or inexperienced diver. Despite repeated instruction from the dive staff, this particular group from southern China would not stop holding or touching the coral with their hands and continued to stand (yes, literally stand) on live table coral. They were told repeatedly to secure their gauges and octos, and continued to ignore any and all instruction. One of them couldn't even be bothered to secure her reef hook and kept hooking coral as she swam. She would then go into an all-out panic and thrash around crazy. You'd think that would be enough to auto-correct the behavior, but no... a couple of minutes later, there they were flailing around with either their octo or gauges caught in a coral head, and them scrambling to get themselves untangled.

Above land, the disregard for the environment continued. Huge groups of Taiwanese tourists would open their packed lunches at designated picnic spots and drop their trash where they sat, rather than walk 2-3 steps to the trash bags provided. The aftermath was an unbelievable heap of cigarette butts, discarded chopstick wrappers, napkins, juice boxes and plastic cups. We asked our dive staff about this and they just shrugged and said the park rangers would come by and clean up.

Last edited:
Ballast-this is exactly what I experienced when I was there in February. Every time I saw a 6 foot coral table wiped out by the same group of divers that had been asked not to do that the day before, I thought "omg...if someone did that in Cozume (or any place I have dived for that matter)l they would be taken out of the water and told they weren't getting back in unless they hire a private DM to keep them off the coral". I was speechless. I think the reefs of Palau don't have long, if the DMs and the local authorities (whatever their equivalent of the Marine Park police is) don't develop a different view of what they can and should ask of their divers. It was appalling.

Horrible to hear, but not surprising based on our observations of concern for any environment. What the dive ops need to realize is they do need to start policing this aggressively and as a group, so they have nowhere else to go, because it will get destroyed quickly and they won't sell dive trips to anyone, resulting in the same thing they fear. They don't yet realize their businesses are directly threatened by this right now. It sounds like its time to give them their own medicine.

BTW, I believe the Guam flight delays are expected and happen on a regular basis. It's always scheduled within an hour and usually late. No worries next time.

thnx for sharing

It is very upsetting for me to hear about divers that have no regard and/or respect for the marine environment and stand on live coral. I have logged over 600 dives (mostly California coast and the Caribbean). I've also dove Hawaii and French Polynesia. I am now looking to dive Fiji, Micronesia, Philippines, or Indonesia. This trip report makes me think twice about going to Palau. I'm not sure I could enjoy a dive there while watching other divers destroying the reef.

Is the reef going downhill that fast??? We were planning on going there in the future but not liking what I'm reading... so sad.

We too loved the PPR!!!! We also saw huge groups of divers with very poor skills but mainly at German Channel. We were given choices where we wanted to go each day and we avoided German channel. It was just not worth it to us to fight the "unruly" crowds! I would not let this stop you from going to Palau as it was one of our favorite dive trips!!!!

Back
Top Bottom