Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leslief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on going to palau in mid March without reservations (I fly stand-by). Will I have a problem getting on a dive boat and upon arrival will it be easy to get to a budget hotel by taxi or by calling the hotels directly? Any hints tips or recomendations are appreciated.

I just dove with Fish & Fins. They are super accommodating and will pick you up from the hotels in Koror. I plan to use F&F again. Good luck and have fun.

When I was in Palau I went with "Sam's Tours" diving (samstours.com) in Koror that was truly amazing. As for hotels I have no clue, but Taxi's on the other hand, real cheep, plus you can always haggle with them.

Depending on how far down the "cheap hotel" ladder you want to go, you may be better off grabbing a dive package. Sam's has deals for hotels & diving on their website, which include airport transfers & daily hotel pick-ups. Showing up to dive with one of the dive outfits in Palau may get you a higher (daily) dive rate, which could wind up costing you the same money for a hotel & diving as a package with a better hotel. Don't know where you're flying from, but, if you've got a laptop, you may be able to book something from the airport after you secure a seat on the flight. Shoot them an e-mail, explain the stand-by thing & see what they have to say. Good luck.

Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia Island Hopping

Dived with Sam's nearly 10 yrs ago and did not like the daily transfer to the sites which are miles away. 13 divers with over 40 tanks on a 200HP powered speed boat!!!! There were nearly 20 boats around when I surfaced on Blue Corner/Blue Hole. We could not go to Peleliu because of rough sea.
It was different story when I dived with Big Blue couple of yrs later. Liveaboard is the ONLY way.

I lived(twice) and was a dive guide(once) at Fish & Fins in Koror for seven months(400 dives). I stayed at the Yuhi Motel & apartments. It's a great place for a long stay. I would look into a dive packages with any of the top three dive operations: Fish & Fins,Sam's Tour,or NESCO Marine. Warning,once you dive Palau,Ulong Island(the best),and Peleliu,you will have dove the best in the world. I"ve worked on twenty-seven islands in ten years and nothing even comes close to Palau.It's not for beginners so get plenty of experience to include Nitrox,deep,drift,and photograghy. Day trips take over an hour to the dive sites but the views are breathetaking and the boats are well equipped and very fast. Enjoy yourself,spend as long as you can because the flight is totally exhausting.Let me know if you have any questions.

There is a place that is called the Guest house...gotta punch a button to get the Hot water to work...but the last time I heard it was around $45 a day. Ask Aireen at Sams I'm sure she can book it for you along with your diving....hey wait I'll be there in March and like uncrowded dive boats go with F&F or Neco!....LOL...just kidding!

Lived in Palau, working as a diver for a coupla years. Love the DW Hotel, near the Rock Island Cafe. Common area room with TV, coffee, tea, water, etc. Provides the option of socializing with other budget divers/travellers. The private rooms are just fine. Nice folks. Rock Island Cafe right across the street, along with internet, coin-op laundry, small "grocery store" with liquor outlet. Ben Ermi Burger trailer just a block away. Near both town and Malakal, where the best dive shops are. West Hotel--Malakal is another good option. Kramers nearby, a great place for a meal, drink, beer, people, etc. Re Dive Ops: My clear first choice is Neco Marine, with the best facilities, the best boats and less crowded boats. Sam's is also excellent. Fish N Fins is good, as well, but I don't much like the location, and it does not have the post-dive hang out for a beer thing going on much. All take walk-ins. March is a great time to be in Palau, and your "long" boat rides through the Rock Islands will usually be a real pleasure. Take a light rain shell in case of high-speed rain showers. While in Palau, hit the Thai restaurant and the Indian restaurant. A few other gems aournd as well. Have fun! Heading there myself next week!!

While not related to this thread I just thought I'd mention I"m leaving the snowlands of Utah tomorrow and heading to Palau for 2 weeks :acclaim:Sucks not to be me:D (not often I get to say that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom