Palm Beach.. Looked Like New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did a dive yesterday on a new wreck in Palm Beach in about 75 feet of water. Incoming tide, strong north current, but the water was not too nice.. Maybe we are just spoiled?

Most of the video shows my son or me, but there were a couple of others on the wreck as well. Jewfish have already taken up residence on it. Shot with a Hero 3, a red filter for some portions, and the filter off when the lights were used inside.

The county recently sunk the wreck, but the passages are not really big enough to allow easy access through the entire boat.

[video=youtube_share;MvBdEb21UjU]http://youtu.be/MvBdEb21UjU[/video]

Nice video, yes you're spoiled :) . And why the cuda kill at the beginning? Bait fish for fishing later?

Nice video, yes you're spoiled :) . And why the cuda kill at the beginning? Bait fish for fishing later?

Yes it is used for bait....Don't think I am going to encourage the 14 yr old to shoot a cuda like that for a while...He did well, but it did give him some trouble...

Johnny's-Cuda-2.jpg

Nice video DD.

I always wondered what Cuda would be like to eat. Ever tried it??
I have eaten them..on a marine research program I was in at Tobago, many years ago......we had to shoot our own fish for dinner every day, and the head scientists frowned on us taking our time getting grouper or choice fish, when cuda were all over by the hundreds, and would pretty much swim up to you and allow easy shots.. As to taste, they were prepared with so much curry, I can't say it was all that different than even the grouper, but they had so many bones in them that I really hated constantly getting the bones in my mouth...so I was not crazy about eating cuda...

In tobago, they claimed they could tell which cuda had ciguatera, and which were safe....I think it was by leaving some filleted fish out....and seeing if the ants would eat it...if the ants left it alone, then we could not eat it....

Nice video DD.

I always wondered what Cuda would be like to eat. Ever tried it??

Yes, I have eaten several small ones, tasted many that I have fed to the cat and dog. People would probably be surprised if they knew how much of the local cuda is eaten by people. The meat looks gray when cut, but turns white and is mild when cooked. There are no bones in a cuda fillet, if cut the normal, proper way..

The meat looks gray when cut, but turns white and is mild when cooked. There are no bones in a cuda fillet, if cut the normal, proper way..

Yikes....I had to eat more cuda than I like remembering, and I can tell you of all the fish I have eaten in my life, I have never had so many bones in my mouth as from eating cuda.....Now I can't say who was doing the fillet job....it was not me...I have no idea how careful they were being....maybe it was easy for the native cook in the house to fillet the grouper when we got them, but the cuda was harder for her....I don't know...This would have to be very easy to "recreate" :)

On the other hand, it used to be cool back in the 80's and early 90's when we had thousands of cuda all around us on many Palm Beach dive sites...then, some time in the last decade, they largely disappeared. I don't know if this was commercial fishing, or if it was the commercial spearfishing guys shooting the cuda for catfood--I know some were doing this...whatever caused it, the decline should not have been allowed to this degree....so right now, I would be less inclined to kill any with their numbers so low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom