Panama City diving season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to be in the Panama City area in Sept for a weekend. I've been certified for about 2yrs and have only about 20 logged dives, but I'm looking to do some more dives around 80-100ft. I have always wanted to try this area so it seems like an ideal situation to go if I can.

Do they still have diving going on in Panama City during Sept? If so, any recommendations on an outfit to use since I'm sure there are a ton in that area?

I dove the Emerald Coast this past fall (Destin in Oct), the vis was poor (3~10') and water cool (~65F). I think the key to diving near shore in the gulf is to time the tides. I'm sure I didn't, but some one else here can chime in with good tips. On the Oct trip, I did two dives on the Miss Louise, the vis wasn't much better (~10-15').

I'm planning on another long weekend to Destin in the last Aug timeframe to do some shore dives and perhaps a couple boat dives with Scubatech.

September and October are my favorite months to dive the Northern Gulf, all of the operators in the Panhandle will be going full through December. We go all year and just turn on the hot water showers and serve hot cocoa during the cold months here in Panama City.

Actually, that was gonna be another question; How far out does Panama City usually dive until? I guess until December like you mention. Good to know as we might go in Oct in 2010. Thanks for the info.

Also, it looks like we actually may be going the weekend of 9/18. Therefore, I might be able to attend this Dive Fest as suggested by Matteo. Thanks for the heads up.

September is a good time dive in Northwest Florida. Water temps are good and if we don't have any tropical weather, Visibilitys are good as well. There is plenty if good sites and you should have no problem booking a boat trip. St. Andrews St. Park is a good shore dive if you catch the tides right.

I'll be in PCB 10/14-18th and I hope to dive. I consider myself a fairly inexperienced diver though I've been cert'd since '82. I've recently gotten back into it and I am diving in Tn. Though nothing deeper than 65' right now due to limited resourced (locations). I will not have a dive buddy so I'm going to need to leech onto to someone. Thanks for the information on the time frame.

If anyone happens to read this and is planning a dive or two please let me know via PM. I will post more (independent thread) later when I firm everything up. TIA

I believe Dive Locker in PCB goes all yaer, weather permitting in Jan.-Feb. The 3 LDS's in Destin/Ft.Walton don't start up until late March at the earliest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom