Panama City Jetties - Need Advice Pleazze!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello . . . . :huh: Would like to dive the jetties in PC this month. Heard 2 weeks ago water was VERY merky - dove out around Carabelle this past weekend (Dog Island); vis was ZILCH. very new at diving and would like some expertise advice on doing the jets. I know there are certain tides you should dive, etc. Would you recommend going with a Master Diver or a Group the fist time???
Thanks for the advice.

Hello!

I would recommend you go with somebody who knows the place if it is your first time diving the Jetties. While its not a hard dive, it is always best to have someone around who can show you the ropes. Where to park, where to enter, when to dive, where to dive, etc...

You always want to dive the Jetties on an incoming or high tide. DONT dive it on an outgoing tide. Not only will the viz be terrible, you'll be fighting the current the entire time trying to not get pulled into the gulf. Here in PCB, we only have one tidal range per day (one high and one low) where it seems most other places have always have two tidal ranges per day. Check out http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/floridagulfsites.html to get the local tide information. You want the St. Andrew Bay channel entrance which is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

As far as viz goes, I have been hearing reports that viz is not very good past 50' or so feet in the gulf. Don't know if it is due to thermoclines, algea, or just marine snow floating around. I'm hoping this will clear up soon with the gulf warming up every day. Here in PCB, the water temp at the surface near shore hit 75F yesterday. I'm hoping we can get close to 80's by the weekend as I'm heading out in the gulf for a few dives on Sunday. But I think this may be wishful thinking.

You should post on this board (maybe in the north florida section) at least a week before you are wanting to do it. People are always looking to dive and you may be able to snag a few souls looking to dive the Jetties as well...

Yeah, the thermocline is murky in the 50-100' range, but clears up afterwards in the deeper sites.*shrugs*

Did the jetty at night last year. First dive the tide was coming in. The currents were still pretty bad and the viz wasn't all that great either. Second dive was right at high tide. The viz was much better. Hardly any current at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom