Panama Diving Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need to be pointed to the right direction for Diving in panama. I'm coming with my son (16) and we have 50+ dives under our belts.

Thanks
Gregg

P.S. We want to go first week in April and we want to do 8-10 dives.

We are going in early February to Coiba and Bocas both, will let you know what we find.

Bocas is simple since there is one dive shop. If their boat is working you'll be able to dive, but I would not count on it necessarily. Nothing in Bocas is run well or reliably. Are you going there exclusively to dive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are heading to Coiba in March. Looking forward to your report dolesorchard! I will post a trip report when we return late March.

Santa Catalina is a small town that has tourists surfing & diving. There is a couple dive shops, you just pick the one you want to dive with. There's great current there, lots of sharks, eels, good diving. Depending on the time of year you go there's quite a migration of large palagics that come through the area. In Bocas Del Toro, Colon has lots of shops to dive with. That island is quite busy & touristy though should you want something a bit laid back go to Isla Bastimentos there's a Dutch guy on the water front in a great place to stay that can take you diving.

There are five PADI dive ops in Bocas del Toro. Four of them, Bocas Water Sports (BWS), Dutch Pirate, La Buga and Starfleet are in Bocas Town -- the main town in Bocas del Toro. Starfleet was suspended from PADI last year and recent got its certification back. Even so, after diving with them a few times over the past 12 years, I would not recommend them. La Buga seems to be much more focused on surfing than scuba diving. I haven't dove with Dutch Pirate, but the have a new boat and their shop and rental gear look fairly good. Since 2010, when I come to Bocas, I dive with BWS. Any and all gear that you might need is included in their dive rate, which is very reasonable. I believe a 2-tank dive is $65 ... $55 if you are doing multiple dives. The BWS DMs and Instructors are excellent and, unlike Starfleet, won't cut you short on dive time.

As for staying on Bastimentos. Yes, there is another, much smaller, dive op on Bastimentos. I haven't dove with them, but based on the reviews in Trip Advisor, they seem to do mostly resort-course dives with non-certified divers. Bastimentos has a few very nice beaches, a zipline and a couple of restaurants. (Beware of two things on the beaches: 1) the undertow. Each year, there are two or more tourst fatalities due to very strong undertow, particularly on Red Frog Beach. It's not every day that the undertow is that strong, but there are no life guards or warnings on any of the beaches. 2) the thieves. Never leave anything unguarded on the beach. It will disappear. That goes for everything from wallets to clothes to prescription glasses to well-worn flip-flops. The other very important thing to realize about Bastimentos -- and any of the out islands away from Bocas Town -- is that you will be very isolated from restaurants, bars, scuba shops, etc. You'll have to take a water taxi, which will cost you anywhere from $8 to $20 to get to Bocas Town. And, it's dangerous to be riding in water taxis at night as most boats (including taxis) do not have running lights. There have been crashes and fatalities at night.

Please don't get me wrong -- Bocas del Toro is very unique and beautiful. And, while the water may not have the clarity of Grand Cayman, there is a lot to see and many good dive sites. Bocas Town has a number of very good restaurants, fun bars and good places to stay that are within walking distance of everything. It's worth the trip.

Since 2010, when I come to Bocas, I dive with BWS. Any and all gear that you might need is included in their dive rate, which is very reasonable. I believe a 2-tank dive is $65 ... $55 if you are doing multiple dives. The BWS DMs and Instructors are excellent and, unlike Starfleet, won't cut you short on dive time.

Came back from Bocas a week ago. Did a couple dives with BWS and they were great. John, the shop owner, accommodated a large group and they took great care of everyone. The DMs were very good, we dove with Modesto most of the time - the guy has an x-ray vision to spot small critters.

Diving is Bocas is indeed unique, specially for how rich (in colors and variety) the reefs are.

@toozler -- I'm glad you had a good time! Yes, the BWS crew is pretty good. And, you're right, the reefs in Bocas remind me of a Jackson Pollack painting -- very colorful. Very vivid. I hope you come back, again.

Here's a short video from a couple dives with BWS in Bocas, shot with a GoPro and an EelVision red filter. The reef colors are from out of this world!

[video=youtube_share;s3X3AYUcO3w]http://youtu.be/s3X3AYUcO3w[/video]

Back
Top Bottom