Panasonic GH2 white balance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm just about to place an order for the Nauticam housing for my GH2 (hacked, 42Mbps, GOP 3, 14-42 PZ "x" lens). I've had the camera for a few months now, and I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to get a good manual white balance in clear tropical water down to 20+m with a red filter, like I do with my SD set-up.
However, does anyone have actual experience of trying to do manual WB with this cam, without lights and just a red filter?
Thanks.

Matthew

I have the same setup with a Lumix 8mm fisheye.
With lights the AWB works perfectly giving me good results.
In very shallow water I see no reason to use a red filter. I simply manually wb on the sand.
I occasionally used the Magic Filter and it's perfect but you are forced to manually wb often.

I tried to do manual WB against my buddy white tanks several times (or against the sun). I was always getting "Error object too bright". The trick is to close the aperture as much as possible before doing manual wb. The GH2 has an incredible manual wb sensitivity. Just for joking I tried to do a manual wb at 80m in clear water and it worked...

...... The GH2 has an incredible manual wb sensitivity. Just for joking I tried to do a manual wb at 80m in clear water and it worked...
Thanks a lot for that info. Long-John Silver - amazing performance!
Unfortunately, I've just had a reply from Onderwaterhuis in the Netherlands (closest Nauticam dealer) telling me that the Nauticam GH2 housing has been "discontinued". They're tring to find one for me from one of the other authorised dealers in Europe. Crazy. I know the GH3 came out the other day, but it's not exactly a game-changer and it costs twice as much as the GH2. The only other housings I've seen for the GH2 are by 10-Bar and Diveross (Italian company) - I don't suppose you know anything about either of those housings do you?
Many thanks.
Matthew

They are not on the same level of the Nauticam.
Sad news about the EOL.
I've seen the Diveross in a shop here in ROme and I played with it with my camera inside.... Hummm :wink:

I saw a full NA-GH2 setup for sell on WetPixel some weeks ago. Give it a try.
Or try to contact the italian Nauticam dealer: http://www.fotosub-shop.it/

Bye

Thanks again, Long-John-Silver. I've e-mailed Diveross, but I had my doubts just looking at their website. The housing looks a bit like some of my son's Lego! I still find it pretty weird that there are so few housings for such an amazing camera.

Back
Top Bottom