Pani LX5 with 10bar housing, a few pics from my Egypt trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HolgMaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All,

just returned from Egypt ( Hurghada ) yesterday and went through my UW pics.

A few things first about the setup / housing.
We all know the LX5 is a very capable camera and it did not disappoint. The 10bar housing is great and the camera fits nicely even though the dots have to align properly to the front before inserting the camera. the push-in and turn knobs are easy to operate without gloves however I would think that with gloves it will become cumbersome. The buttons on the back are also tiny but they all worked fine.

One thing that does not work is the back wheel that changes the settings ont he back wheel. even under pressure down at 15 to 30 meters, turning the knob did not engage the back wheel of the camera, the press function does work. Unfortunately I was unable to use the camera in full manual due to this issue. Not sure what the answer is but I am planning on emailing Jack and 10bar about this.

the Dome port and cover underwater is very good. I have also purchased a Dyron WA.15 M67 lens. I however must say I am a bit disappointed with that attachment. I only had the lens once on the housing and the pictures tuned out like a tunnel vision, very blurry on the corners, zooming in does not work at all, however the middle part of the picture id pretty sharp and once cropped I believe it is OK, but the price for that lens is too high in my view and the dry port option from 10bar is probably the way forward.

I had to play with a lot of different settings. I mainly used the camera in P mode with AF tracking and Inon Z240 strobe attached via optical cable.

Overall like with every camera, trying and more trying is necessary to get decent results but I am very happy with the setup. I also took HD video with the red filter and they turned out to be very nice of good quality. When zooming however you can hear it on the video but that does not bother me.

Now a few samples of my camera. I shot Raw+JPEG and used Aperture to adjust white balance and the shadow detail on some pictures.

here is the link : P1010573 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

comments are very welcome. As I said I am no expert and used that setup for the first time.

Holg.

They look awesome to me. I only hope to get results half that good once I'm under with my camera for the first few dives. I'm also considering the 10BAR/GF1 for cost savings; however seems just about ever user posting on this and every other forum has had issues with that housing. Some miner and some.... well just say you had better have some patients! Hope they have most the bugs worked out by the time I buy.

Thanks for sharing

Zak

Back
Top Bottom