panic attack after 300 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great posts, lots of good advice.

I had a similar situation a few months ago. After 150 or so dives with no issues of anxiety, panic, etc.

15 minutes into a dive, slowly going from 45ft under the boat to about 95ft, little to no current although I was following a much more experienced diver than I and he was moving pretty quick so I was kicking a fair amount to keep up. I had a big camera rig with me, which I dive with regularly. The one clear thing I remember was being extremely cold, def the coldest dive I can remember, to the point where I was really chilled to the bone. Around 95ft I felt like I was going to loose my buddy, was really cold and thats when the onset of a potential panic attack came on. Breathing got very very rapid, the cold got worse, sense of oncoming dread and a desire to get to the surface quick. I slowed down sat on the bottom for a bit then slowly made my way up to about 65ft where I rested for about 10 minutes concentrating on my breathing and relaxing. I then finished the dive shallow and had no more issues.

Def feel like all of the above the added C02 intake and possible narcossis at 95ft all added to the sensation.

Since this dive I have struggled a bit with getting anxiety prior to dives, in my case the anxiety only seems to present itself when I know the dive will be deeper or more challenging in some manner. I have not done any dives deeper than 60ft since and am going out with my instructor in the coming weeks to work on this issue.

I had a similar experience in Roatan. I was leading a night dive on the coco view resort wall. We were at 60 feet and I got dizzy. I gave a signal to one of the girls in the group that I was feeling sick and going back. She said without speaking do you want me to go with you and I said no, im ok... BIG mistake that almost cost me my life. I turned and started to head back around the bend and looked back and couldn't see their dive lights anymore. I looked out into the blue or black because it was at night. I started to panic, i looked up and noticed I was getting close to the surface and i started to grab for my deflater and couldn't find it, next thing you know I felt as if I was all tangled up in my gear. I could feel my heart pounding and for a second I felt as if I was all alone, I felt as if I was in outer space or something, all by myself, it was a creepy feeling. I finally got my act together and baically laid belly down on the sand bed at about 20 feet depth and chilled and relaxed. I was fine after that but jesus, for a moment there I was close to death, at least that's what I think.

Panic attacks can happen to ANYONE. They can be a combination of events that just "overload" your mental capacity to think rationally for a bit. Doing a backroll into water that is cold (relative thing) can cause rapid breathing then shortness of breath, then panic (is it task loading, anxiety attack, physical stress, or a combination of all-pay your quater, take your choice)...
Training, experience and physical conditioning can help you overcome a panic attack, but again IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE.

I've experienced panic attacks years ago and understand how debilitating they can be. I've never had a true panic attack while underwater though.

The closest I've come was after an OOA incident years back. My tank valve unexpectedly clogged at 80 ft and the CESA from that depth with "empty" lungs (I had just exhaled) was not the easiest thing I've ever done. For perhaps 50-75 dives after that, I always felt anxiety on descending, but was fine once at depth. It's been a few years so this is no longer a problem.

Hopefully your husband will not experienced such anxiety after the fact.

OT - but of interest -

Hi drbill-
I've seen you reference this incident in a few posts, and was hoping you could describe the situation in detail (i.e. what caused the clog, your response, how you managed an empty lung CESA from 80', and what you would/could have done differently) in a new thread or post a link to an older thread describing the incident. I'm particularly intrigued by OOA situations and folks responses to them. Thanks in advance-

My 2 cents on this incident. It is really good to know what triggers panic feelings in oneself, if you know this then it will go along way to helping you deal with the feelings of panic. CO2 retention or build-up is a real big one, just stick a pillow case over your head and breath for a while. It doesn't take too long befor your brain kicks in and tells your body to get this thing off your head. We still don't know if the diver from the original post was using a snorkel to get to the down line. If it was the case here then this could have played a big roll in the CO2 build-up. Breathing from a snorkel with a scuba tank on your back is hard. The tank will force your lungs lower into the water making it harder to take a breath, the tubing that makes up the snorkel is restrictive and it also retaines some of the exhaled breath that contains a higher amount of CO2 and a lower amount of O2. This can make the most fit person struggle for a breath. switch to a regulator or roll over onto your back and loose the snorkel, take a break and once you recover continue with the dive or abort, your judgement.
If you are feeling panicy and you really don't understand the reason for this panic attack then CO-2 build-up is the most likely cause. You need to rest and take long slow breaths, keep telling yourself that it will pass in just a few seconds, you have to flush the CO2 from your system. Focus on your breathing and don't worry about loosing your buddy or the trip back to the boat, shore or enything else.
I like to dive with a security blanket, aka pony bottle and in tense situations I just reach down and locate my spare reg. this does alot to calm me down.
ZDD

Interesting that we find snorkels underwater more than any other piece of equipment! We keep giving them away .. but I keep wondering about the owners!

just curious , who were you diving with in Cozumel. I am not super confident in their abilities.

Ah, funrecdiver, I understand! Our big exchanges are more than 50 cm/hr -- today's was 54.

7-13-tides.jpg

Back
Top Bottom